Books to learn??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Books to learn???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And hit the local library- 623.4 is the section for firearms. They have a surfeit of books- and can get you most on an interlibrary loan for a buck or less. (notice how I worked surfeit in there? )
Seriously? Dewey Decimel just rolled over in his numbered grave.

No one knows the Dewey System C3. Are you secretly married to a hot librarian?!?!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Seriously? Dewey Decimel just rolled over in his numbered grave.

No one knows the Dewey System C3. Are you secretly married to a hot librarian?!?!
... and if not, why not?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #13

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

No one knows the Dewey System C3.
He says to the walking, talking encyclopedia........

Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Quote:
No one knows the Dewey System C3
I have it tattooed on the sole of my left foot. Library of Congress numbers on the right.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #15

I can personally recommend the books by Patrick Sweeney (I believe they are availabel from Brownell's):
Gunsmithing: Shotguns
Gunsmithing: Rifles
They are aimed at the beginner and medium experience type of guy. Best of luck with all of your future projects

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #16

I know I've not been posting many responses here but I am checking in regularly and tracking down your suggestions. I appreciate all of them and I'm finding lots of good things.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #17

Hey Redrover, how goes your quest for knowledge?

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #18

Default Books to learn???

I would suggest videos, the show you part you can physically see them move and interact with each other, the r you tube put on by midway and some mini AGI videos to. you can also purchase AGI videos. something to think about

Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It is probably really hard to interest a Publisher in starting such a line from scratch. Then there is the issue of holding the writer's interest to the project. What we see is individual books on specific guns written by different authors from various publishers.

For the second half of the 20th century to the present for US military weapons there exist Field Manuals (FMs) and Technical Manuals (TMs). The FMs are intended for users, while the TMs are intended for repairmen (i.e., ordnance techs in this instance). Many of the FMs and TMs are available either as used books, or PDF downloads.

There are also firearms that have ignited enough collector interest so that individual authors have written multiple tomes about them. Lugers and Colt Single Action Army revolvers or the Thompson SMG are a great example of that. Collectors of such arcane things love to get the books and then argue about whether or not this or that author made an error on page 115 or was the other author correct. Some even forget about the gun but instead write new books (or lengthy blogs) about which author should be ignored.

Other guns with smaller audiences get only one or two books about them. The .35 Remington or the pocket Colts or the Ingram 10 comes to mind.

Regarding the general thrust of your question, a series of books, all by the same author, the gunsmithing series by Kuhnhausen is the only one that I can offhand think of. I am sure there are other comparative works, but I have missed seeing them. If you own one of the guns Kuhnhausen has written about, by all means get that book (or two if one of the guns he has two books about).

Some guns get 20 or more books but only one or two are must reads. Clawson and Goddard and Kuhnhausen, when dealing with the 1911 come to mind as must haves in my opinion.

When reading about guns there are some must reads. Which one is appropriate is partially determined by where your interest lies. I put Hatcher's Notebook in my must reads list, So too is Smith's Small Arms of the World. Note, you are going to have to hunt on Amazon for some of the out of print books, but it is worth your time.

Last edited by superc; 09-17-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error, moved a phrase

Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try AGI they have a video library on what you want to do. Since you are a truck driver don't know how much time you would have to watch a video. americangunsmith.com