Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   Books to learn??? (

redrover3569 11-01-2010 04:09 AM

Books to learn???
Is there a line of textbook style books where each book covers a type of weapon such as pump shotguns, semi-auto handguns, revolvers, etc.? Books that will cover names of parts and their functions, disassembly to reassembly. Right now I barely know the difference between a firing pin spring and a striker spring but I'm fascinated with the workmanship and mechanics of guns and I have an overwhelming desire to learn more so I need somewhere to begin. I'm just a passanger on this ride for now but some day I'd like to drive.

NGIB 11-01-2010 10:59 AM

For a quick way to learn the basics, go to Brownell's and study the schematics of the guns there. It's a great way to become familiar with the correct part names and just how many parts the modern gun has. Sure there are lots of books but I like to learn the old fashioned way - by taking them apart and studying...

Drriley 11-01-2010 12:46 PM

If you want to start with older firearms, Brownell's has a manual that breaks down
most guns made before 1960. Expensive from Brownells ($100) but also available
on ebay and amazon as used books.

The "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms - Parts & Assembly" by Bob Brownell has come cut down pictures as well as parts diagrams and step by step break down procedures.

The NRA offers through their web site store the "NRA Guide to Rifles and Shotguns"
and the "NRA Guide to Pistols and Revolvers" aka Firearms Assebly 3 & 4.

For on-line schematics you can also go to Numrich Gun Parts Corporation .

redrover3569 11-01-2010 05:51 PM

I appreciate the replies. I prefer to learn hands on as well NGIB. However, being a truckdriver, I have more time to read than to do. I'll check out Brownell's to see what I can find. Once I've done some reading I intend to buy some practice pieces.

Dillinger 11-01-2010 06:47 PM

There is a great book that is a bit dated, but it taught me a lot called "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" I think the author is named Macpherson.

Gives a good break down on a factory bolt action, what some of the properties do under fire and what steps improve it. It's not a dull, technical read with lots of references to page lists and I got my monies worth out of it.

Brownell's is another great source as my cohorts have mentioned.

stalkingbear 11-01-2010 09:36 PM

Brownells does offer disassembly/reassenbly/gunsmithing books and videos. Just go to their website and order them as you require.

Biohazard2 11-01-2010 09:45 PM

Just for looking and naming parts, you may want to try Numrich Gun Parts.
They have the breakdowns of most guns.

CA357 11-01-2010 09:49 PM

I use the Gun Digest firearm assembly/disassembly books all the time. They come for different firearms. I currently have the ones for Shotguns, Bolt Action Rifles, Semi-Automatic rifles, Revolvers and Semi-Automatic Pistols. I was gifted one on customizing the 10/22 Rifle.

I play around with all of my firearms, and they are an invaluable tool to have. Here's a link to the Gun Digest website. You'll find a plethora of firearm books there, not just how to stuff.

The Gun Digest® Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part IV: Centerfire Rifles -

Notice the subtle way I worked plethora into this? ;)

c3shooter 11-02-2010 12:07 AM

And hit the local library- 623.4 is the section for firearms. They have a surfeit of books- and can get you most on an interlibrary loan for a buck or less. (notice how I worked surfeit in there? :p)

redrover3569 11-02-2010 01:22 AM

WOW! I checked out Brownell's. There seems to be a lot of what I'm looking for there. Inexpensive too. I also saved the Numrich website for later reference. Thanks a lot. This will keep my brain busy for a while so it will quite driving me crazy over the things I want to know.