Best sight pusher tool?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Best sight pusher tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Best sight pusher tool?

Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions on a good sight pusher tool that would work on 1911s as well as glocks and s&w m&ps. Any advise and feedback is truly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

nylon bench block, brass punch, and at least a 5 lb hammer(just tap it)

Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar
nylon bench block, brass punch, and at least a 5 lb hammer(just tap it)
Thanks for your feedback. I don't own a work bench to mount a nylon bench block on or that would definitely be my goto method of removing sights. Although I've heard it's possible to mar the sight and slide with this method. I guess as long as you take your time and tap lightly everything should be fine

Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel1911 View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I don't own a work bench to mount a nylon bench block on or that would definitely be my goto method of removing sights. Although I've heard it's possible to mar the sight and slide with this method. I guess as long as you take your time and tap lightly everything should be fine
check out Brownell's. they have some that use a type of forcing screw to move the sight vs. using the hammer and punch method. they might have something that would work for you.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

check out Brownell's. they have some that use a type of forcing screw to move the sight vs. using the hammer and punch method. they might have something that would work for you.
Thanks for the advise. I think I'll call brownell's and talk to their customer service reps to see which product they would recommend. There's a few on the market. I'll post their response

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So I read some good reviews on the kaiser uni-200L. Anyone have any experience with this sight pusher tool?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I was really hoping for some great answers to this, I have a soft jaw vise and a good punch and hammer set, just looking for something better I guess.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #8

I use dedicated MGW pushers for most guns as I didn't want to she'll out the $400 for the Mepro Universal Brownells sells, but if I had it to do over I would shell out the money up front.

You will need to make mods to any universal setup to make it work though.

Soft jaws and a nylon punch are usually the easiest way to get sights off (non-trit) but a pusher saves a lot of time putting them back on and the cost of a set of trit sights will pay for the MGW pusher after one hit too hard.

Below is the model I use for oddball sights and it works on 99% after soaking the slide in KROIL for a day. Get the hold down clamp in the kit, it's worth it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17840/Product/P500-UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-TOOL

If you have access to a mill, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6841/Product/UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-INSTALLATION-TOOL this tool has the ability to work on more guns an on the really tough sights, but it's pricey!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcguns
I use dedicated MGW pushers for most guns as I didn't want to she'll out the $400 for the Mepro Universal Brownells sells, but if I had it to do over I would shell out the money up front.

You will need to make mods to any universal setup to make it work though.

Soft jaws and a nylon punch are usually the easiest way to get sights off (non-trit) but a pusher saves a lot of time putting them back on and the cost of a set of trit sights will pay for the MGW pusher after one hit too hard.

Below is the model I use for oddball sights and it works on 99% after soaking the slide in KROIL for a day. Get the hold down clamp in the kit, it's worth it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17840/Product/P500-UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-TOOL

If you have access to a mill, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6841/Product/UNIVERSAL-SIGHT-INSTALLATION-TOOL this tool has the ability to work on more guns an on the really tough sights, but it's pricey!
The mepro universal is definitely too pricey for me. The cheapest I've seen it for was about $600. I couldn't justify paying that much for a pusher unless I was changing out sights full-time! Lol. I guess that's why the kaiser uni 200l is sold out everywhere I've looked. thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #10

Not that it's a great deal, but the brownells discount puts them at $400 unless you are doing it as a smith it would never pay for itself