Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   beretta m9a1 polymer trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/beretta-m9a1-polymer-trigger-106023/)

JonM 04-09-2014 10:29 PM

beretta m9a1 polymer trigger

I just received the wolf captive spring upgrade to replace the weak trigger return spring in my m9a1 and inox compact. I knew that this part was incompatable with the polymer trigger in my guns, nothing a drill press can't fix...

http://imageshack.com/a/img593/8453/q8rf.jpg

The back of the A1 poly trigger is much higher than a steel non poly trigger. In order to create enough clearence I need to remove about 1/8 inch diameter material for clearence of the spring guide.

Well my first attempt failed. These triggers are so hard I broke the first 1/8 bit and choked up on the second one to reduce chatter and hanging on the press handle I couldn't get it to bite. These things are harder than rocks. The steel isn't even scratched. To drill this trigger you would need a better press and bits than you can get at sears. My craftsmen press is normally enough to drill anything I need.

Anyone that is ditching these poly triggers because they think they are weak is an idiot. The steel under the coating is stupid hard, I doubt superman could snap one.

Round two will be tomorrow with ye olde dremmel and a pack of cutoff wheels and polishing stones and cold blue.

orangello 04-09-2014 10:47 PM

Could you melt it off with a soldering iron or tiny torch of some kind?

foot2400 04-09-2014 11:49 PM

It's hard to get a high speed steal drill through harden steal. You would have to use a carbide drill or carbide endmill. You could buy them through MSC or McMaster Carr if you wanted to go that way. But I'm pretty sure a drimel will get through it.

JonM 04-10-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 1554332)
Could you melt it off with a soldering iron or tiny torch of some kind?

The poly isn't the issue. Under it the trigger itself is hardened steel. Can't drill that stuff without special bits and tools as in below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by foot2400 (Post 1554422)
It's hard to get a high speed steal drill through harden steal. You would have to use a carbide drill or carbide endmill. You could buy them through MSC or McMaster Carr if you wanted to go that way. But I'm pretty sure a drimel will get through it.

Nah. I know a cutoff wheel on a dremel do it. My press doesn't have the speed or pressure even with carbide bits. I just didn't think the steel was that rugged...

I just find it funny folks are replacing these with the cheaper made all metal triggers because its coated in poly heh.

orangello 04-10-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1554453)
I just find it funny folks are replacing these with the cheaper made all metal triggers because its coated in poly heh.

True irony would be if they replaced it with an all-metal trigger that had been duracoated or ceracoated.

foot2400 04-10-2014 12:54 AM

I was thinking of replacing mine. But if it's as tough as you are saying then there is no reason for me to. Let us know if it makes a difference after shooting it.

JonM 04-10-2014 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foot2400 (Post 1554487)
I was thinking of replacing mine. But if it's as tough as you are saying then there is no reason for me to. Let us know if it makes a difference after shooting it.

I knew the poly trigger was steel coated in poly, I didn't think it was hardened steel...

Looks like I won't get it done till Friday. Almost forgot my 1903a3 reciever with its new barrel will be back and I would rather get that finished for Saturday. Turning it into a mock A4.

Anyway don't ditch the poly trigger its over engineered for what it needs to do.

JonM 04-10-2014 02:27 AM

Just put the "D" hammer springs in my m9A1's. Huuuuuuuge difference. The "D" spring is what the dao version of the 92fs uses for a hammer spring and cuts the m9A1 double action pull by more than half. It seems to have reduced the SA pull as well. Trigger in sa mode feels just like my colt 1911 lightweight commander.

I'm pretty excited to get that trigger return spring in

JonM 04-16-2014 11:48 PM

Just got done with modifying the first polymer trigger. I used a 1.5" metal cutting wheel shown in the pic to remove the material needed for clearance. The difference in color is from clp used after cold bluing the metal that was cut out.

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/5504/2p4u.jpg

Bottom trigger is the modified polymer trigger top is the unmodified one. I cut out enough metal to fit the wolff captive reduced power return spring. The cut has to go down to the line you see on the top trigger and wide enough to fit the return spring.

Getting it all together the trigger pull is smooth and very crisp when combined with the "D" spring upgrade. The single action pull is now better than my colt lightweight commander. The da pull is very smooth. Trigger return and pull has no hint of grit or mush.

I'm very pleased with the results. I have two more to do this upgrade to.