Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Beretta 92fs- D spring and skeletonized hammer questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beretta 92fs- D spring and skeletonized hammer questions...

Howdy,
Just recently picked up a Beretta 92fs, new in box with 3 mags for $580 after tax. I'm new to the 92 series and tinkering in general, but with the help of the internet these days, in depth write ups and videos make life easier for the average DIY'er like myself.

Anyways, out of sheer boredom I decided to purchase some parts (although unnecessary, if it ain't broke why fix it?). I have a steel guide rod, (although the plastic one seems to have its perks) skeletonized hammer, beretta alumagrips, checkered steel oversize mag release and a D spring on the way.

My question to you is (pardon my ignorance) could the lighter mainspring and lighter hammer possibly translate into light primer strikes?

As always, any knowledge/experience y'all can share is much appreciated.

Last edited by comeback_kid; 09-16-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

well, I'm assuming it will be good after a bit of research. Will shoot her tomorrow. Went from being bone stock to this.... the "D" spring is niceee... she's a completely different beast now. The mag release helps me out big time since the grip is rather large for my hands, I am now able to drop a magazine without having to change my grip

100_0517-2-.jpg  

Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Yes, that mod could create lighter strikes.
The hammer spring helps to control felt recoil. As the hammer is forced back by the slide, that spring is compressed. Using a lighter spring reduces that resistance.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Didn't even think about the recoil thing. Makes sense. Gonna shoot during lunch

Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I like the skeleton hammer on that. Even the oversized mag release actually looks kinda cool. Nice purchase man.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

I've got a 92FS myself..it's my favorite semi-handgun..a lot of fun to shoot..hadn't thought about doing anything to it, since it shoots so well at the present time..however, you've given me something to think about..thanks!
Kevin

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading." ~Thomas Jefferson~

Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

No issues at the range. Double action is smooth and light. Recoil is ever so slightly snappier but not enough to really be an issue for me. Its just barely noticeable. No light primer strikes. Will test various brands of ammo. Im not a big fan of oversize mag releases but for me it really helps on the 92

Old 09-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuahiwi View Post
I've got a 92FS myself..it's my favorite semi-handgun..a lot of fun to shoot..hadn't thought about doing anything to it, since it shoots so well at the present time..however, you've given me something to think about..thanks!
Kevin
It really isn't necessary to do anything to it, it's designed as it is for good reason. As far as I've learned, via online research, the plastic guide rod was designed with a sandy environment in mind. The gun was perfect as it was, but being a 1911 guy and relying on a Glock for self defense I figured it wouldn't hurt to play around a little and do some modification on the Beretta 92. Everything I got was factory (I figured you could trust OEM) but so far I am very happy with it. Plus it stands out from all the other 92s and m9s without being over the top. An interesting note is that the recoil spring that came with the steel guide rod is a a coil longer and feels somewhat stiffer. I noticed this when installing it but didn't give it much thought, considering it was brand new. Again, I'm new to handguns and have a very basic understanding of the overall function and how things interact harmoniously (timing). This was the farthest I've ever broken any gun down (besides my mosin nagant, I've had it completely apart before) and I was quite surprised at how simple it was given youtube tutorials. I'm not entirely sure how a stiffer recoil spring and a lighter mainspring/hammer will interact to affect the overall function/reliability of the pistol but so far it has been a dream to shoot. Only more rounds will tell. The good thing is, if it doesn't work.... well, I've got all the factory stuff and can put it back to stock in a matter of minutes. If I had to recommend you do anything, I would get a D spring. Makes the DA trigger pull soo much nicer. In my opinion at least. I will be sure to report any malfunctions. I'd like to do some research and figure out what factory ammo has a "harder" primer, and run that through her and see what happens.