Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Beretta 92--Problems W/accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/beretta-92-problems-w-accuracy-32605/)

Ralphhster 10-04-2010 04:59 PM

Beretta 92--Problems W/accuracy

I usually always stick with Glock but on a whim I bought a stainless,Italian made Beretta 92----The accuracy was outragously bad , I put in a KKM barrel and it really got the gun printing on paper but it still produces groups that are high and strings vertically ! I have talked with the owner of KKM and he was very nice but didn't know what the problem could be.
Any suggestions on how to cure this would be appreciated..............:confused:

NGIB 10-04-2010 05:05 PM

Bought new, bought used?

I've owned a couple of 92s and while they aren't "target" guns, they shot well and to POA...

danf_fl 10-04-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphhster (Post 362699)
I usually always stick with Glock but on a whim I bought a stainless,Italian made Beretta 92----The accuracy was outragously bad , I put in a KKM barrel and it really got the gun printing on paper but it still produces groups that are high and strings vertically ! I have talked with the owner of KKM and he was very nice but didn't know what the problem could be.
Any suggestions on how to cure this would be appreciated..............:confused:

How did it shoot before the barrel swap? What ammo are you using?

Ralphhster 10-04-2010 11:57 PM

1) Bought the gun "brand new" at a local dealer !
2) The gun,when purchased, shot literally ALL over the target......................
( Best guess at group size approx.- one to two feet,very sporadic, --at
45 feet )
3) Ammo used Winchester,Cor-Bon,Remington and assorted other brand name
factory ammo.(both ball and hollow point) attempting to maintain factory
warranty----but-------------------------------------------------------
Beretta informed me that group size is NOT warranted in ANY way ! !
4) The gun now shoots about 3" high and vertically strings groupings approx.
3" to 4". Myself and two other rangemasters shot the pistol , all
producing similiar results. None of my friends seem to have experience
enough with Beretta to correct this problem. The KKM barrel did tighten
the barrel fit;when it was new I could grab the barrel and move it at will
by hand. ( very sloppy fit)
5) I didn't expect a tack driver from this weapon but some type of reasonable
grouping would be nice !
. I can't believe the military would allow this weapon to be adopted
if they all shoot to these specifications !
This class of weapon should produce ,at minimum, combat grade
accuracy ! No, I will not define "combat grade"----but the groups that
I have defined are outside the perimeter of any acceptable accuracy
standards ................................
*******There isn't a gunsmith where I live that will touch a Beretta--they
claim to be unable to repair a Beretta. BTW I live in Carson City,Nv
which is why I ask for assistance..................

007BondJamesBond007 10-05-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphhster (Post 362699)

Did you put the gun in a Ransom Rest? That will tell if it is you or the gun. My Beretta is a great shooter. The fixed sights does take some getting use to.

Ralphhster 10-05-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 (Post 362953)
Did you put the gun in a Ransom Rest? That will tell if it is you or the gun. My Beretta is a great shooter. The fixed sights does take some getting use to.

YES , that is how we substantiated my claim to the Beretta Co.............(documented at an NRA range,with NRA equipment,performed and documented by an NRA rangemaster)
NOW...how do I FIX the weapon ? :cool:
MY...Beretta is still NOT a great shooter !

007BondJamesBond007 10-05-2010 02:51 AM

3" groups on the Ransom Rest? Thats not right what is the round count? It might tighten up as it breaks in.

Jpyle 10-05-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphhster (Post 362948)
1) Bought the gun "brand new" at a local dealer !
2) The gun,when purchased, shot literally ALL over the target......................
( Best guess at group size approx.- one to two feet,very sporadic, --at
45 feet )
3) Ammo used Winchester,Cor-Bon,Remington and assorted other brand name
factory ammo.(both ball and hollow point) attempting to maintain factory
warranty----but-------------------------------------------------------
Beretta informed me that group size is NOT warranted in ANY way ! !
4) The gun now shoots about 3" high and vertically strings groupings approx.
3" to 4". Myself and two other rangemasters shot the pistol , all
producing similiar results. None of my friends seem to have experience
enough with Beretta to correct this problem. The KKM barrel did tighten
the barrel fit;when it was new I could grab the barrel and move it at will
by hand. ( very sloppy fit)
5) I didn't expect a tack driver from this weapon but some type of reasonable
grouping would be nice !
. I can't believe the military would allow this weapon to be adopted
if they all shoot to these specifications !
This class of weapon should produce ,at minimum, combat grade
accuracy ! No, I will not define "combat grade"----but the groups that
I have defined are outside the perimeter of any acceptable accuracy
standards ................................
*******There isn't a gunsmith where I live that will touch a Beretta--they
claim to be unable to repair a Beretta. BTW I live in Carson City,Nv
which is why I ask for assistance..................

Sounds like the barrel is not fully locking down or there is a problem with the guide rod. If 2 barrels exhibit similar open groups it stands to reason that the problem is not the barrel per se but that the barrel may be "moving" while the bullet is going down the pipe. The trajectory angle of each shot is different as the bullet leaves the muzzle with the barrel in a slightly different POA. Try mounting the slide and barrel onto another Beretta frame and/or switch out the guide rod and see if the problem clears up.

PS I have a 92FS and it shoots like a dream...never heard of anything like this before so I doubt it's endemic to the whole 92 line. In 25 years of military use in several TOA I think we would have heard about this issue by now.

Ralphhster 10-05-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 363143)
Sounds like the barrel is not fully locking down or there is a problem with the guide rod. If 2 barrels exhibit similar open groups it stands to reason that the problem is not the barrel per se but that the barrel may be "moving" while the bullet is going down the pipe. The trajectory angle of each shot is different as the bullet leaves the muzzle with the barrel in a slightly different POA. Try mounting the slide and barrel onto another Beretta frame and/or switch out the guide rod and see if the problem clears up.

PS I have a 92FS and it shoots like a dream...never heard of anything like this before so I doubt it's endemic to the whole 92 line. In 25 years of military use in several TOA I think we would have heard about this issue by now.

Thank you for the advice--you are correct and I will try the suggestions !
It will be at least two days if our weather man has his way. Prediction=Only heavy rain the next two days.
Will advise as the attempts progress ! I bought the Beretta thinking exactly that which you have stated about your own 92FS ! Never considered that the frame and-----the barrel could be bad ! Guess thats why I asked for the help. Thanks again and I will advise of the progress.
BTW---- I thank you also for your service in our military !

Jpyle 10-05-2010 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphhster (Post 363179)
Thank you for the advice--you are correct and I will try the suggestions !
It will be at least two days if our weather man has his way. Prediction=Only heavy rain the next two days.
Will advise as the attempts progress ! I bought the Beretta thinking exactly that which you have stated about your own 92FS ! Never considered that the frame and-----the barrel could be bad ! Guess thats why I asked for the help. Thanks again and I will advise of the progress.
BTW---- I thank you also for your service in our military !

Did not mean to imply that I was in the military, sorry for the confusion. My Beretta, on the other hand, says you're welcome...:)