Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Beretta 70S Slide Locks Back On Full Magazine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 70S Slide Locks Back On Full Magazine

I am helping a friend refurbish and make shootable a Beretta 70s 22LR that is marked "Berben corp New York, NY" and "Pietro Neretta Gardone V. T." and "made in Italy". There is a problem with the slide locking back, every time, with ammunition remaining in the magazine. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any recommendations to correct this problem would be appreciated.

In addition, the magazines are difficult to insert and remove. They are marked "P. B. cal 22 lr made in Italy”

Thanks for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

First thing...have you ruled out the magazine as the problem? Is it damaged, is it the correct magazine for the gun? Does the problem occur with every mag or just one?

One you rule out the mag the next step is the slide catch: is it bent so that it makes contact with the top round, what happens with 1,2,3 fewer rounds.

Point is its a trial and error process, especially with an older weapon. Do you know how heavily it was used, was it properly maintained, have you examined the slide for damage, does the slide release toggle the catch, it is spring loaded and should physically engage and release the catch mechanism.

Sorry about all the questions but it is difficult at best to give a definitive answer without knowing what you have ruled out.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Is the shooter's thumb near the slide stop?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

The magazines appear to be in good shape. They load and feed properly when the slide is released manually.

I was told that there had only been 100 or so rounds shot through the pistol. It appears to be in good shape except some rusting due to getting wet during on of our hurricanes.

I guess the next thing to try will be the slide catch. The slide catch is high enough that it should not be touched by the thumb. I check this out the next time I take it to the range. It has happened to several different shooters.

Thanks for the help.