You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

Bedding- Right, Wrong Or Otherwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bedding- Right, Wrong Or Otherwise

Just getting ready to bed my low buck Stevens 200. I scammed a B&C A2 stock and am awaiting the new Douglass XX barrel in .222 from Sharp Shooter Supply. I went cheapo and am going totop it off with a Weaver 6-18 variable in lapped Burris XTreme rings with a Warne one piece steel mount. I thought that might stiffen up the actiona bit.

This is not a target gun obviously, I just want an accurate mid range (inside 250 yards) crow and woodchuck thumper.

I was looking for experiences using Devcon versus Marine Tex, and the benefits or draw backs of bedding the tang. I've read a ton of differing opinions on where to bed and was wondering what has worked out for you all. I had planned on doing the action walls and foot print, recoil lug which is a thicker piece from SSS, and the first three inches of the barrel. not sure now after reading conflicting reports.
Thanks in advance.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 310 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 146

KB I do it all-including the tang, full action area, recoil lug, and 1st couple inches of barrel. Use a Dremel to "hog" out the areas slightly before bedding-while still maintaining the same height in the stock. I use Acraglas Gel from Brownells exclusively. I'm betting if you try it you'll be sold on it as well. I order it by the shop tubs. Have you thought about pillar bedding it as well? I'm here if you have any specific questions or problems. Be SURE to use enough release agent.
Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!