Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Becoming a certified Texas gunsmith.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

One thing going in the OPs favor is I have never met a Texan who was not certifiable.

There are two ways of becoming a real gunsmith. Both involve hands-on learning. The easy way is to attend a gunsmith program at a accredited gun smith school. The other would be to apprentice for probably around six years with a master gunsmith.

There are plenty of on-line certificates that can be had by adding money, and they may give you enough skills to be a parts-changer, but there are no shortcuts to becoming a master tradesman of any type.

I too have looked into becoming a Smith, and if I did, I would attend a two year vocational program offered at a junior college, or technical school, and come out with a certificate and an AA degree. If there was a good program within driving distance of my home, I would attend such a school. At 60 years old, I no longer have the energy or the time to devote to the process, so it will be one of the things I wished that will be undone when I die.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Salvo,

That was a very good and informative post. What could we expect from a fellow West Texan?????

Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

I really appreciate this y'all. I'm not sure of university orientation or preferences around here, but I'm headed to visit Texas A&M in College Station. I'm super excited and it's going to help me decide my future over the next 10 years or so. Thank you guys (or girls) for this advice. Every word is valuable and I'm grateful for y'all taking the time to write it. Thanks again, and God bless.