Beavertail install issue - adaptable or order another? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Beavertail install issue - adaptable or order another?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 502

A little late, I see, but here is a link to a site with some good tips for working on 1911s

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/brownbt.html

If you are going to Duracoat, be sure you are done doing any other fitting or metal work, then do the whole refinish at once. Degrease, then degrease again, and once you think you are done degreasing, you should do it one more time. after degreasing do not touch any parts you are refinishing with your bare hands until the Duracoat is dry. Let that Duracoat cure fully before assembling or shooting the 1911 and you should be happy with the results. Most folks that I see who end up not being happy with Duracoat are teh folks who get impatient and don't do the proper prep work, or the go out and shoot the gun teh week after they Duracoat and then the finish doesn't hold up because it isn't fully cured.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #22

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
A little late, I see, but here is a link to a site with some good tips for working on 1911s

http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/brownbt.html

If you are going to Duracoat, be sure you are done doing any other fitting or metal work, then do the whole refinish at once. Degrease, then degrease again, and once you think you are done degreasing, you should do it one more time. after degreasing do not touch any parts you are refinishing with your bare hands until the Duracoat is dry. Let that Duracoat cure fully before assembling or shooting the 1911 and you should be happy with the results. Most folks that I see who end up not being happy with Duracoat are teh folks who get impatient and don't do the proper prep work, or the go out and shoot the gun teh week after they Duracoat and then the finish doesn't hold up because it isn't fully cured.
Thx, Doc. Great link! Definitely a bookmark now.

I'm gonna try to be super super thorough and patient with the prep work. Having been reading about the different finishes the last couple months, it does seem duracoat is as good as any ... if the prep work is done and done right.

I've got a few cans of compressed air, cans of brake cleaner(degreaser), and plenty of other things to shoot while the finish cures. I think I'll even go an extra step and add in a 30 min bake session to help with the curing process. I've read from many that it really seems to help it dig in better. Think I'll try to do a step by step video. It may su€k, but I'll give it a shot.

Had to give the gun a little sun today.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #23

Looks good. You jsut may want to be careful about temp if you do a baking session. Some of the lighter colors of Duracoat can change under heatif you aren't careful. I prefer baked on finishes myself, because I'm too impatient to wait weeks to put a gun back together and take it shooting.

I really like working With Norrell's Moly Resin. It seems to be pretty forgiving as a product to work with.

Duracoat is decent stuff too, and they have a DuraBake version as well.

Best of luck. It should look super when you're done.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #24

Thx again, Doc. Going to look up Norrell's. Love trying new stuff.

Duracoat stainless .... So far, so good.

image-3256486678.jpg
image-1813930564.jpg

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2970 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

When I use a coat hanger on slide, I carefully use the firing pin channel. A little bend keeps the wire in place and I don't have to redo the area near the dust cover.
On the frame, I use a hook in the disconnector area.

Check out the video on how Brownells uses Duracoat.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #26

Thanks Dan. Their vid is not too bad. I really wanted to do a little video myself, but was too hard to do without my tripod that's I'm storage. Took pics instead. I'll start a separate thread for my duracoat experience. I'll be reassembling my RIA soon so I can get some finished shots.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 08-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #27

Looking good so far. I do the same as Dan as far as using the firing pin channel.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #28

I'll have to do that next round. Threw the little paint shelf and hanger together with some scraps in the shop. I've painted other stuff and done quite a bit of wood finishing, but this was a new one for me. Can't say I wasn't a bit nervous, but it's turned out pretty well I think. Thx again!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com