Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > BCG fits to snug in upper reciever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default BCG fits to snug in upper reciever

Currently building an ar-15 SBR (legally w/tax stamp). Anyways upon assembly I noticed the BCG fits very snug in the upper receiver. I can push it all the way in until the lugs lockup in the chamber. But it will not slide freely like it does in my other ar's. So my question is more or less can I take some sort of abrasive and polish down the lower edges of the bcg (which is where I believe it is catching) or should I fully complete the rifle, lube it up good and just work the action (chamber empty) to break it in a little. I have never had this happen in my other ar builds, so this is a new one on me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

take the bolt out of the carrier and run just the carrier in the upper. if its not binding your just experience the gas rings doing their job.

just shooting it should wear it in over time long as its not like having to be pried out of the upper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #3

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

If the carrier is dragging excessively without the bolt installed then something is out of spec.
If you have calipers you can measure the inside diameter of the receiver against one if your existing uppers. And BCG against an existing one or just try swapping parts around and see which part doesn't fit properly.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #4

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Another thing to consider is the gas tube and gas key. I just had an issue with a finished rifle. It was a RRA upper receiver, DPMS gas tube and a FailZero BCG. It was doing the same thing. What happened was the NIB coating was to thick in the gas key causing the inner diameter to be too tight. I checked it with 4 other BCG's and it worked fine. I swapped out bolts and carriers. It would lock forward but difficult to charge back. When using the other carriers it was fine. I had to polish out the inside if the gas key and now it has no resistance. At first I thought it was the swedge at the end I the gas tube, but other carries would fit just fine. Just another thing to look at.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I would get some layout fluid and put it on the bolt carrier and run it back and forth a few times in the upper. Just to see if one part is rubbing more than another. Might just need some lapping in, I have seen that happen.

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00063640/k-G0599182?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc &utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gc lid=CNOUiMr7lrsCFSLxOgod9zQAFg

Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #6

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

I put a upper together for a guy and my gas tube alignment tool got stuck in his upper , enough that I actually broke the pull handle on the tool , never had this happen on any other upper , Im guessing it was out of spec a bit . you may be experiencing the same thing

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

Ok. Thanks for your help guys. I failed to mention that the bolt carrier has some sort of coating on it, and that may be the reason why it I hanging. That coating may be just thick enough to throw it out if spec. I will put some calipers on it and the upper and see what I come up with.