Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Barrelled actions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Try and keep up

Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #12

I thought that a barreled action with a POS plastic stock to aid with shipping was the whole point of the Remington SPS. Great place to get quality barreled action.
If you're building for a resume, you want to be sporting quality work on quality firearms. Why do two bolt action rifles? Why not build one bolt gun like a brick outhouse, and also show your abilities with the AR platform? If you build two rifles in two calibers, isn't that just a touch redundant? Not griping at you or anything, just wondering.

Last edited by goodsteel; 08-06-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsteel
I thought that a barreled action with a POS plastic stock to aid with shipping was the whole point of the Remington SPC. Great place to get quality barreled action.
If you're building for a resume, you want to be sporting quality work on quality firearms. Why do two bolt action rifles? Why not build one bolt gun like a brick outhouse, and also show your abilities with the AR platform? If you build two rifles in two calibers, isn't that just a touch redundant? Not griping at you or anything, just wondering.
Valid point...two platforms would show greater range ill keep that in mind

Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19581 Times on 11113 Posts
Likes Given: 49292

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
I thought that a barreled action with a POS plastic stock to aid with shipping was the whole point of the Remington SPC. Great place to get quality barreled action.
just not seeing an AR as a valid platform for a person to build for a gun type resume. reason is, it's such a simple platform that even a child can do with a minimal amount of experiance and tools. YouTube is flooded with videos on how to do it. there are numerous books and DVD's on the AR. if someone came up to me and showed me a tricked out AR, to show off their gunsmithing abilities, i wouldn't be impressed in the least. have you seen some of the AR's here on the forum built by it's members? most of them are not gunsmiths in the least and they have some pretty impressive looking rifles! ithink he needs something better than the AR if he is looking to impress.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

just not seeing an AR as a valid platform for a person to build for a gun type resume. reason is, it's such a simple platform that even a child can do with a minimal amount of experiance and tools. YouTube is flooded with videos on how to do it. there are numerous books and DVD's on the AR. if someone came up to me and showed me a tricked out AR, to show off their gunsmithing abilities, i wouldn't be impressed in the least. have you seen some of the AR's here on the forum built by it's members? most of them are not gunsmiths in the least and they have some pretty impressive looking rifles! ithink he needs something better than the AR if he is looking to impress.
Also valid point...what would you suggest?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19581 Times on 11113 Posts
Likes Given: 49292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfernaays View Post
Also valid point...what would you suggest?
Brownell's use to sell the Ruger #1 and #3 single shot rifle actions. those would be a good starting point. could be barreled with a heavy varmint barrel to make a one of a kind varmint or target rifle. or maybe a magnum contoured barrel to make a simple and elegant large caliber hunting rifle.

alot of builders build bolt actions, and i personally enjoy them and own them. the AR platform has been done to death, by everyone and his mother! the single shot rifle has slipped in popularity somewhat. i think it would be a very good platform to showcase your skills. the same skills could be used on many other types of rifles or shotguns.

Last edited by Axxe55; 08-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

Ruger number1 is a classic and i can see how it would translate to other types of long guns

Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
just not seeing an AR as a valid platform for a person to build for a gun type resume. reason is, it's such a simple platform that even a child can do with a minimal amount of experiance and tools.
That's very true, and I should have thought of that.

I was leaning more towards some sort of semi-automatic platform. Bolt guns are easy, and there's not much to a Ruger #1 either. They are a great way to display attention to detail and finishing abulity, but you should also have some sort of semi-auto that takes some work getting timing/ejection/feeding right. Like a FIN/FAL, Garand/m14, etc etc etc.

Even with the AR platform, there are a lot of folks assembling rifles. Not many are building/making components from scratch, incorporating they're own designs into the parts. There is still a lot there to show off ones abilities as a gunsmith.

Do you mind if I ask, Why do you want to work for someone else? If you are able to work on peoples guns, why not go into business for yourself?

I finally opened up shop, and its been pretty awesome so far. My area is ripe for the pickin. Of course, part of the reason for that is that the old guru gunsmith died about ten years ago. Its a common problem all across the USA. Gunsmiths are in such high demand, that if you find one that's any blessed good, you will wait for a year to get your gun back.

I am actually doing a pretty fair amount of work for folks in other states that would be glad to pay the shipping both ways on a firearm, + my service fee's just so that they can get their gun back in time for next deer season. If I have someones gun for a month, its because there was a problem getting/making parts.

The internet is a wonderful thing. It makes everybody just a UPS drive away.