barrel threading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > barrel threading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 108 Posts

Default barrel threading

I am going to be purchasing a sound suppression device. And I am wondering if barrel threading is something I should tackle. I have unlimited access to a lathe, but limited experience with a lathe. On one hand I am fairly decent with most firearm related repair and it is something that I want to learn on the other hand I do not want to ruin a barrel. I know it has to be concentric with the bore and the only option I have is a live center. Do you think I should try?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #2

cutting threads on a barrel should be done by a gunsmith, if you do not have one in your neighborhood, you could contact Brownells they should be refer you to one. If you have experience with machine work you might be able to complete the task.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

if its not concentric your going to shoot holes in your time consuming to acquire suppressor.

i would suggest getting a cheap beater barrel and action to practice with. shotout barrels can be had for super cheap from long range shooting folks ebay and some gunshops.

you can make a straight rod to test concentricity before you shoot.

so get some practice barrels and get after it until you feel comfy in trying on yours.

i do a lot of diy on my guns but threading a barrel isnt something i would attempt without supervision by a really good gunsmith.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
hmh

The only competent gunsmith that i know of wants $150 + per. I have heard about some mail operations for the $30 range but am unsure about quality. And I will not get the knowledge of doing it.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done a few hundred barrels, so here is my two cents...
Yes, the bore needs to be concentric. Using a live center is the way to go...the only way to go really.

You don't really want to use the center itself, it is hardened steel and it will mess up the crown. First you need to make a centering spud from brass. Cut it so that it has both a 60 degree included taper on both the inside and the outside. You can do this easily by using a center-drill for the inner diameter and using the compound to cut the outer diameter.
Cut it with a post that is the same size as the bore diameter.

Slip this contraption over the center itself, while using the barrel to hold it in place. What you'll have is the spud inside of the barrel, (it only needs to be 1/4" long) and the brass centering up the barrel on the live center itself.

This does three things. One, it protects the rifling inside the barrel and two, it allows you to re-crown the barrel without cutting into the live center and it also centers the barrel up on the bore.

More often than not, the O.D. of the barrel will be a few thousandths off center. No big deal, just cut to the major diameter of the thread that you need. Be sure to use a parting tool to cut a relief in the threads so that the suppressor can shoulder up and tighten on the barrel itself, not the end of the threads. The shoulder must be absolutely perpendicular to the bore, because this is where the silencers both tightens up and aligns itself.

If you have concentric threads, and a square and perpendicular shoulder in which to align the suppressor on, you will have no issues with misalignment.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
hmh

Thanks do you have a picture?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No.
Give me a day or two and the next time I thread a barrel I'll take a few pictures.
That'll make it easier to understand.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
hmh

Greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash316 View Post
cutting threads on a barrel should be done by a gunsmith, if you do not have one in your neighborhood, you could contact Brownells they should be refer you to one. If you have experience with machine work you might be able to complete the task.
agree with you

Old 02-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

HotGuns is obviously more experienced and he is right about all of what he said, though there are different ways to achieve the same results.

It all depends on what you have at your disposal.
My way includes using a 4-jaw chuck, bore-indicator, and then a non marring live-center method close to what HotGuns mentioned.

My question is, is this for a rifle or pistol barrel?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.