Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Barrel reline question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/barrel-reline-question-82410/)

twhessler 01-25-2013 02:59 PM

Barrel reline question

Hi
I am going to reline a winchester 1890 barrel. I have drilled it out and it is clear that there will be a gap around the liner and the barrel at the muzzle.
I want to hide that gap as best as possible. I have read somewhere about peening the end of the barrel to close up the hole a little. I have made up some steel plates with the appropriate size hole to practice and see what works.
The peening I did looked horrible. So that seems to be out. I have taken some one inch sections of liner and silver soldered the end in to the practice holes and they came out ok, but I couldn't prevent the solder from flowing to far away from the hole. Meaning if this was done on a barrel the solder would flow over the edge and onto the side of the barrel, and I don't plan on re bluing so I think that idea is out.
Can anyone give a suggestion on how to hide this joint ?

I have plenty of time on this and I want it to look good, so I will do as many practice runs as I need. But I could use a new suggestion or idea.
This is an octagonal barrel and the end is perfectly flat so you really can't hide anything with a crown.
Thanks for any suggestions, Tom

hiwall 01-25-2013 03:40 PM

I never soldered any liners in. I always used Acraglass. I mix in a little "bone black" to blacken it so it more closely matches the blueing. I've done two or three dozen this way.

twhessler 01-25-2013 03:50 PM

Hiwall
Thanks I plan on using green locktite for glue. I only soldered the very end to fill the gap.
The end of these barrels were never blued they are bare steel so I want to keep the original look. Which makes it pretty hard to conceal . If I added black it would stick out pretty bad.

Thanks, Tom

hiwall 01-25-2013 08:37 PM

Add powdered aluminum. I've done that before.

dog2000tj 01-25-2013 08:49 PM

stupid question from an idiot ... is there a reason for relining a barrel rather than just replacing it? :confused:

sputnik1988 01-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 1110030)
stupid question from an idiot ... is there a reason for relining a barrel rather than just replacing it? :confused:

Some barrels have markings that the owner would like to keep, ive considered relining my Kar98. It has several markings that i would hate to lose.

dog2000tj 01-25-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1110079)
Some barrels have markings that the owner would like to keep, ive considered relining my Kar98. It has several markings that i would hate to lose.

Ah, so it's got something to do with sentiment, value ... makes sense :)

twhessler 01-25-2013 10:27 PM

That is correct it has the original barrel with original markings. There is no sentimental value at all it's just that it is a vintage gun and a replacement barrel would kill its value. I am sure the liner in itself will hurt the value but not to bad.

Powdered aluminum ? Is that something you buy or just sand down some aluminum ?

Thanks, Tom

dog2000tj 01-25-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twhessler (Post 1110147)
That is correct it has the original barrel with original markings. There is no sentimental value at all it's just that it is a vintage gun and a replacement barrel would kill its value. I am sure the liner in itself will hurt the value but not to bad.

Powdered aluminum ? Is that something you buy or just sand down some aluminum ?

Thanks, Tom

good reviews - http://www.starmolecule.com/

hiwall 01-26-2013 12:23 AM

I bought my Powdered aluminum at Brownells.
Many old guns you can not get barrels for any more. Or a gun showing honest wear would look odd with a shiny new barrel. Relining does lower collector value but not as much as a new-made replacement barrel.