Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > barrel boreing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

You also may look into having a bore lapped. Does not remove the amount of metal that a boring would, its goal is to polish and smooth irregularities in the bore. Mossberg used to hand lap the bores of their 22 target rifles. Get a can of JB Bore Magic, read and follow directions. And it will still shoot .45 ACP.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 AM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay. Let's get the facts straight:

Quote:
Your 1911 Colts. You've done something to them
Quote:
You could say that. I bored THE CHAMBERS, customized the triggers and added the compensators
He never said ANYTHING about boring the barrels, because that would be both stupid and pointless....

Basically what the dad was saying is that he touched up the chambers. The rifling ( the lands and grooves in the barrel ) would be un-touched because we are talking about the chamber or the throat, not where the rifling starts the spin of the bullet.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay. Let's get the facts straight:

He never said ANYTHING about boring the barrels, because that would be both stupid and pointless....

Basically what the dad was saying is that he touched up the chambers. The rifling ( the lands and grooves in the barrel ) would be un-touched because we are talking about the chamber or the throat, not where the rifling starts the spin of the bullet.
Dillinger...thank you very much for correcting me...i hadn't had a chance to get my hands on the movie to relisten to it so what is the point of boring the chamber?

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've read some 1911's (kimbers) are said to have tight chambers from the factory.
Re-boring (opening up)the chamber to SAAMI specs can aid reliability.

Im no expert, I was just reading about this last night.
If I'm wrong, one of the expert's will be along shortly to kick me in the junk

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

There are several reasons for re-boring a chamber. A tight chamber is one reason. Another reason could be a slight change in caliber ( like from .45ACP to Cane's .460 Rowland ). Another reason could be that you have a reliability issue for whatever reason ( stuck cases after ignition for example ), and opening it up the very, very small amount .001" in diameter, could help with that.

We don't know why Castle's dad did this. He had a Colt, that could be reason enough ( ZING!! The Ref is going to have to step in here and warn Dillinger as Cane is clearly hurting from that illegal blow ).

I presume that some script writer needed to talk guns, went to some other stupid forum and got bad gun advice.

If these guys would just bookmark us, they wouldn't have this problem with their work.

JD