barrel boreing - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > barrel boreing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

so if i rebored a 1911 45acp...would i still shoot a 45acp?

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #12

Reboring removes a layer of metal from the inside of the barrel, making the hole larger. Maybe making it a .458 or so. It all depends on what size reamer you use.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

so where would i find ammo to use? lol i think i might end up not doing the boring and just having a compensator put on lol

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #14

Just get it rebored to a common round. I did my .270Win to 7mm Rem(.28) because it was getting worn, and the time I spend doing it was cheaper than a new barrel. lol.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #15

so if i have a 45 what would be the next common size? that would still fit the mag? lol

Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

This is one of the strangest threads I've seen in a while. It was a movie, and Hollywood is never very accurate with gun facts.

Is there something wrong with your 1911 that needs repair, or are you looking for the latest tacticool upgrade? Seriously, just because you see it or hear it in the movies doesn't mean a thing. Think about that Angelina Jolie flick where they shot around corners...

Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #17

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

What they are telling you is that it is not normally done. If you want a different caliber buy a different barrel. I believe you can get a 50gi barrel and mag then just drop it in with a different recoil spring and it should work.

There is no real reason to rebore a barrel. To make a .451" barrel into a .454 or .458" barrel just doesn't make any sense because your going to have the wrong size bullets in the case for a 45acp. The 45acp is made to work with .451 or .452" bullets. To stuff a bullet that is .003+" off is going to create a case that is bigger in the front than in the back. You can't shove a 400 # fat guy through a hole cut for a 110# blond chick. This would leave you with a very oversized chamber and when that happens things go BOOM.

There are a few calibers that you can convert to from a 45acp. You can go 400 cor-bon, 460 Rowland, 50gi, 45 super which I believe is a 308 win case cut down to the length you need. This gives you the ability to run hotter loads as there is more metal in the webbing of the case.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You can't shove a 400 # fat guy through a hole cut for a 110# blond chick.
Great now I have an image of a doghouse giving birth to Homer Simpson......thanks
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Better to have asked the question before doing it, then to ask after it has been done and wonder why the gun is shooting effed up. Only dumb question is the one not asked.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Better to have asked the question before doing it, then to ask after it has been done and wonder why the gun is shooting effed up. Only dumb question is the one not asked.
where true...and orginally i was just asking because i was curious what it was...and if it actually made a gun shoot better or not