barrel boreing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > barrel boreing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default barrel boreing

just curious...what is the purpose of boring a barrel??

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns"

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Well- it creates a hole to let the bullets and noise out.....

But expect that was not your real question. Do you mean counterboring the muzzle? Older rifles that have excessive wear/damage to the rifling at the muzzle are frequently sadly inaccurate- bad cleaning, erosion from corrosive ammo, etc. By boring out the last inch or so, the bad rifling is removed, and SOME of the accuracy may return. The old rifling did not wear evenly- but when cleaned up, the uneveness was disposed of, and remaining rifling evenly contacts the bullet.

OTOH, crystal ball in still in shop for calibration and oil change- if I missed your question, can you expand on it a bit?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 AM   #3

well i was watchin a movie and in the movie they guy was talkin about 1911's and said he had the barrel bored, custom trigger work, and a compensator put on...i know the last 2 but just couldn't figure out how you;d do the first one...or why

"Gun bans disarm victims, putting them at the mercy of murderers or terrorists who think nothing of breaking the gun laws."

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” - Sigmund Freud

"The 2nd Amendment...Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them!"

Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Hmmm- ya got me there. Have seen SLIDE bored to deal with sloppy barrel fit or misalignment, when adding an oversized match bushing. Usually not for a duty/carry weapon- nor is a compensator. IMHO. Bells and whistles for MAX accuracy may degrade RELIABILTY to some degree.

Then again, it might just be HollyWeird doing their usual great job.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #5

well if it helps any it was in the punisher movie with thomas jane and john travolata...the sence right before his family gets killed...and i was just curious if those 2 1911's in the movie were "could be" or like you said just hollyweird

Old 03-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Well it sounded good and it was a movie
Now, once I finally get my tactical recticle lapped and my add 25 Moa to my rifling, my newest project's gonna be a shooter.

I do remember hearing that quote in the movie a while back and was like WTF??

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 03-10-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Added

Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #7

so it's a no go? a dream gun basically? lol

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #8

Do you mean reboring? Reboring removes bore defects, which improves accuracy, and it also increases the bore diameter which changes the calibre. ie .22 into .223.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."

Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #9

i'm not 100% sure but i think in the movie he said he had the barrel bored...i'll have to watch the sence again to make sure tho

Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #10

Thinking about that movie, I think he is talking about reboring. Also, a hand finished bore is smoother and more consistent than a factory one, again improving accuracy. So many things affect accuracy.

"Sir we are surrounded."
"Good! We can attack in any direction."