Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   barrel boreing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/barrel-boreing-24419/)

unknownhero82 03-09-2010 09:16 AM

barrel boreing

just curious...what is the purpose of boring a barrel??

c3shooter 03-09-2010 12:53 PM

Well- it creates a hole to let the bullets and noise out.....:)

But expect that was not your real question. Do you mean counterboring the muzzle? Older rifles that have excessive wear/damage to the rifling at the muzzle are frequently sadly inaccurate- bad cleaning, erosion from corrosive ammo, etc. By boring out the last inch or so, the bad rifling is removed, and SOME of the accuracy may return. The old rifling did not wear evenly- but when cleaned up, the uneveness was disposed of, and remaining rifling evenly contacts the bullet.

OTOH, crystal ball in still in shop for calibration and oil change- if I missed your question, can you expand on it a bit?

unknownhero82 03-10-2010 02:32 AM

well i was watchin a movie and in the movie they guy was talkin about 1911's and said he had the barrel bored, custom trigger work, and a compensator put on...i know the last 2 but just couldn't figure out how you;d do the first one...or why

c3shooter 03-10-2010 04:53 AM

Hmmm- ya got me there. Have seen SLIDE bored to deal with sloppy barrel fit or misalignment, when adding an oversized match bushing. Usually not for a duty/carry weapon- nor is a compensator. IMHO. Bells and whistles for MAX accuracy may degrade RELIABILTY to some degree.

Then again, it might just be HollyWeird doing their usual great job.

unknownhero82 03-10-2010 04:56 AM

well if it helps any it was in the punisher movie with thomas jane and john travolata...the sence right before his family gets killed...and i was just curious if those 2 1911's in the movie were "could be" or like you said just hollyweird

Gatekeeper 03-10-2010 05:01 AM

Well it sounded good and it was a movie:p
Now, once I finally get my tactical recticle lapped and my add 25 Moa to my rifling, my newest project's gonna be a shooter.:cool:

I do remember hearing that quote in the movie a while back and was like WTF??

unknownhero82 03-10-2010 05:05 AM

so it's a no go? a dream gun basically? lol

shootingmad 03-10-2010 09:09 AM

Do you mean reboring? Reboring removes bore defects, which improves accuracy, and it also increases the bore diameter which changes the calibre. ie .22 into .223.

unknownhero82 03-10-2010 09:21 AM

i'm not 100% sure but i think in the movie he said he had the barrel bored...i'll have to watch the sence again to make sure tho

shootingmad 03-10-2010 09:34 AM

Thinking about that movie, I think he is talking about reboring. Also, a hand finished bore is smoother and more consistent than a factory one, again improving accuracy. So many things affect accuracy.