Aspiring Gunsmith

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Aspiring Gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Aspiring Gunsmith

Hello i am a resident of Kentucky, and wish to pruse a career as a gunsmith, My question: Is there any formal gunsmith schools in or around Kentucky. Ive read great things about the school in Colorado but that's a lil far from Ky.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2724 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Nate,

Go on line and type in Gunsmith Schools in KY. You will find the listings of the technical schools there. One can attend classes or go on line. I know the one in CO. is supposed to be one of the best around. I have my doubts about the online experiences since obviously they are not hands on and only book work. Hands on is what you will need to develop into a good gunsmith. I do know that one of the Remington Service Centers is located in Louisville KY. If a guy could do some apprentice work there or a local gun shop that does a lot of business and repair that would be great for you. Even if you volunteer free it is getting an education that you would normally pay good money for. Just be ware of the scams of online education when it comes to where you pay the price and really do not get much education in this field! Bottom line it takes years to become a good gunsmith and the experiences that come with it.
Good Luck on your venture!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #3

You might check out Murray State in Oklahoma. The NRA has summer "get your feet wet" classes there according to the NRA website. I'm considering going down this summer myself. Actually the NRA's site mentions more than one place in the country but you'll have to check that out.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate29 View Post
Hello i am a resident of Kentucky, and wish to pruse a career as a gunsmith, My question: Is there any formal gunsmith schools in or around Kentucky. Ive read great things about the school in Colorado but that's a lil far from Ky.
Hey KY there is a school in pittsburg that does the gunsmithing classes. SO you might be able to try there for something about the classes not sure what the name is but they are suppose to be good.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

Default aspiring gunsmith

you will also need machining courses(lathe;milling machine;surfacegrinder etc)
and a gooood business course. If you could find an established gunsmith that would let you apprentice, you would be ahead of the game

Small Arms Restoration, Inc