The art of casting , molds and forging - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > The art of casting , molds and forging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

High load parts like hammers are very difficult, if not impossible to make using casting. The latest rendition, called MIM (Metal Injection Molding) involves expensinve equiptment. Parts such as hammers, sears and firing pins would be best made using a file and high quality forged steel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

hiwall Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1090 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 561

I have made many many pins , both replacement and custom using old 1/4 socket extensions as its tool steel and very very hard . I wont go into my lathe process as I got picked on last time but it works .
I have used feeler gauge for flat springs but is very difficult to drill .
I have used a chunk of stainless steel boat prop to make a sear trip , stainless is just weird , likes its soft but hard as hell at the same time , maybe its tensil is low but has a hard surface ?
I have even used a exhaust valve to make a firing pin that could not be bought anywhere .

I want a small lathe but I fear the trouble I would get into If I had one and I damn sure dont need a mill

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtolly1 View Post
Mostly cast with aluminum and such. I don't think you can cast with steel since steel is refined iron ore. At least in my recollection, which has been known to be flawed.
Look at all of your ruger firearms. Ruger does keep the price down by using investment casts. This is for all ruger arms.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Automotive leaf springs are excellent material for guns and even knives. Hammers, triggers, draw bars, with a file and some patience anything can be carved from them and they are excellent steel.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Automotive leaf springs are excellent material for guns and even knives. Hammers, triggers, draw bars, with a file and some patience anything can be carved from them and they are excellent steel.
ALOT OF THAT .
Spring steel and piston wrist pins are hard as a wedding night **** or hard as a diamond in a ice storm .
plus 2 when spring steel gives up its nasty but it all depends on whats its being used for

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It can be anneled and retreated.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #17

Something else that may not be an art but making coil springs are a pain and getting the tuned is even more of a pain , bound and rebound rates and all that jazz