Arisaka type 99 stripped action - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Arisaka type 99 stripped action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
1. I wouldn't do it, as they are decent enough actions. Heat treating was SPOTTY at best.
2. You can get 700 actions cheap.
3. Oh dear here comes the milsurp crybabies. A rifle is a rifle is a rifle. It doesn't matter if it was once a military gun or now. Why are so many people so crazy for not destroying a gun. I myself would much rather see someone take a 98 m out of the cabinet or safe and rebarrel re stock it and use it over seeing one just waste away in storage never to be used. Guns are meant to be SHOT not looked at. I have at least 2 dozen DESTROYED milsurps in my safes. All shoot better than any factory gun out there.

I support a guy make a gun that he wants to shoot and use. That is what I support.
Well I shoot my military rifles. It's about all I own. It's a piece of history. But go ahead and ruin them because it just makes mine more valuable. Im sorry I don't wanna see a piece of history decimated.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #22

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

what makes it a piece of history? Because it might have been used in combat. WHOPPIE. Never did understand this mentality.... Really it doesn't make your move valuable either.

Just because it was a military weapon doesn't make is HISTORIC.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #23

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
what makes it a piece of history? Because it might have been used in combat. WHOPPIE. Never did understand this mentality.... Really it doesn't make your move valuable either.

Well there's a lot of things that make it historic. I shouldn't have to explain it. But I'll just leave at that. I don't wanna offend you.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb6112 View Post
Well there's a lot of things that make it historic. I shouldn't have to explain it. But I'll just leave at that. I don't wanna offend you.
How would you offend me? Because you want to cry over someone doing what they want to THEIR RIFLE?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb6112 View Post
I'm surprised that everybody is supporting destroying a milsurp gun. Please don't do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Because theres plenty that are already "destroyed", I dont think hes referring to using a pristine one...
^^^

I'm someone who would have an extremely hard time chopping up a milsurp. I want them to be as original as possible.

BUT

I have absolutely no problem doing anything I want to a bubbafied rifle, or a stripped receiver since they are no longer original.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post

They may not seem like history to you, but they are.

I have a Mosin Nagant and a Nagant revolver that were made before WWII. The chances of them being used are extremely high. They are both covered in stamps and markings that tell the story of their lives.

You may not care. That is your right. But do try to understand that a lot of people do care. These guns were probably used to fight the Nazis on the Eastern front. They might have even been used in Stalingrad, or Kursk.

I find that extremely interesting.

These are the guns that were used to forever change the World. THAT makes them a piece of history.

As you said, if you own the gun, you have the right to do anything you want to it. But don't criticize the people who do choose to keep them original for their history.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

With what was being said in destroying old milsup rifles is that this was done back in the late 50's early 60's maybe sooner to see and to inform people in which actions to sporterize and what calibers they could chamber these action in safely.
An example of this is that I would not chamber an eddystone enfield in 30/06 to were I would chamber a remington enfield in 300 h&h mag. From all of this I know I can chamber a mauser in just about anything, and the arisaka in anything that will fit.
Now don't get me wrong I do have a K98 and a M98 in original condusion. As well as a few others.
Knowing what will blow up on you is a good thing.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #28

Quote:
But don't criticize the people who do choose to keep them original for their history.
I didn't do that. I criticize the fact that YOU were the one going off about milsurp. I don't care what people do to their guns. It is their gun. Just like I don't care what people do in their life or bedroom, work, as long as it doesn't effect me you are free to do as you wish. Just get tired of all the OMG you shouldn't do that to an old rifle. Boo Hooing all the time. Everyone else was supporting the guy in doing what he wants with his gun.

I think the type 99 and 38 are OK actions. I've seen some that had great heat treating and others that weren't so good. That is why I would stay away from them. Also you never know them dirty japs could have hid a bomb in the stock that could go off at any minute and wipe out an entire city block.....

Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I didn't do that. I criticize the fact that YOU were the one going off about milsurp. I don't care what people do to their guns. It is their gun. Just like I don't care what people do in their life or bedroom, work, as long as it doesn't effect me you are free to do as you wish. Just get tired of all the OMG you shouldn't do that to an old rifle. Boo Hooing all the time. Everyone else was supporting the guy in doing what he wants with his gun.

I think the type 99 and 38 are OK actions. I've seen some that had great heat treating and others that weren't so good. That is why I would stay away from them. Also you never know them dirty japs could have hid a bomb in the stock that could go off at any minute and wipe out an entire city block.....
I wasn't going off about milsurps until my last post...

As for the "OMG you shouldn't do that to an old rifle.", that does in fact decrease it's value, and destroys a piece of history. That's your choice though. Just don't get mad when you want to sporterized a WWI German Gewehr 98, and someone objects.

On the action, I'm going with a m24/47 action for my custom rifle instead. I think that will work great for 6.5x55 Swede.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That will work great you won't have to change much. Really only the barrel. Good luck and keep it posted.