Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Arisaka type 99 stripped action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Arisaka type 99 stripped action

I found an Arisaka Type 99 stripped action for $35 plus shipping and FFL fee. Should I get it?

It doesn't have a bolt, trigger, or anything. I'm wanting to eventually build a custom rifle, possibly a .22 hornet, .243, or maybe a wildcat cartridge. How hard would it be to get a bolt, trigger, barrel, ect for this action?

Would I be better off (less expensive) to just buy a complete action from HOWA, or something?

I don't plan on building the rifle now, just eventually.

I could also buy a complete barreled action for $160. Would that be better?

thanks.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 04-26-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would get the t99 action you can get the parts need though Numrich and Jack First. Brownells will have some aftermarket parts.

The 7.7 and the 6.5 jap are good strong actions the type 99 is the 7.7 jap. It has a longer action and can be chambered in any round based of the 30/06 or the 308. The good part by choosing a 243 Win on the T 99 is you would be able to reload your ammo with longer bullets or even setting bullets out more to have more case volume and you will get better seed out of it. You could also chamber it for the 6.5/06, 6.5x284, 260 rem, and the 6.5x57. All of this rounds are great rounds for most of any thing in the USA.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbertothy View Post
I would get the t99 action you can get the parts need though Numrich and Jack First. Brownells will have some aftermarket parts.

The 7.7 and the 6.5 jap are good strong actions the type 99 is the 7.7 jap. It has a longer action and can be chambered in any round based of the 30/06 or the 308. The good part by choosing a 243 Win on the T 99 is you would be able to reload your ammo with longer bullets or even setting bullets out more to have more case volume and you will get better seed out of it. You could also chamber it for the 6.5/06, 6.5x284, 260 rem, and the 6.5x57. All of this rounds are great rounds for most of any thing in the USA.
Just checked out numrich. The bolt alone is over $100.

It may be cheaper just to buy a sporterized one.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That is true. Still, with the receivr you can make what you.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Tex... Go here and ask for what you want. A lot of the guys there have a bunch of barreled receivers and parts for cheap. You have to go to the "Firearms of the Rising Sun" area.
Its a forum so you will have to sign up, but it where I get alot of my old gun parts, people there are nice and dont gouge you on prices.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forum.php

I have a barreled receiver for a type 38 carbine I havent decided what to do with yet.......

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Holy crap trez! I love that place. Sooo many cheap milsurps.

I'm still looking into my options though. I've read that Mausers tend to be easier to rebarrel and chamber than the Arisakas. I'll have to keep looking into it.

How smooth is the action on an Arisaka?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #7

Arisaka actions are about the same as most other military bolt actions... (Better than a Mosin, not as nice as a '03, if that helps) I wouldnt think it would be that hard to rebarrel one, get a barrel blank and thread it for the Jap threads.

I personally like the Type 38 action wise, but as someone else said you will have more room in the mag with the T99.....

Actually let me check the gun shope I go to for my Arisakas... I remember there being a Type 99 "parts gun" the stock was sporterized, it had the bolt body but none of the inners. I think he wanted $50 for it....

Old 04-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Arisaka actions are about the same as most other military bolt actions... (Better than a Mosin, not as nice as a '03, if that helps) I wouldnt think it would be that hard to rebarrel one, get a barrel blank and thread it for the Jap threads.

I personally like the Type 38 action wise, but as someone else said you will have more room in the mag with the T99.....

Actually let me check the gun shope I go to for my Arisakas... I remember there being a Type 99 "parts gun" the stock was sporterized, it had the bolt body but none of the inners. I think he wanted $50 for it....
That would probably work. A complete bolt only has 4 or so pieces don't they?

Also, by none of the inners, are you just talking about the bolt, or the actual rifle?

Does it have the mum, or was it taken off?

If he has it, let me know. I'll definitely consider it.

Thanks.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Arisaka is a nice action the rebarrel will be harder then the Mauser, because it has a weird cut for the extractor. Other then that you can't go wrong with that action. Like I said earlier, if you can fit the round in the chamber, you can put a barrel chambered for that round on it. P.O. Ackly tried to destroy the Arisaka action and was unable to make the weapon even unusable to any degree. I have scene one chambered in the 300 ultra mag., but still personally I would chose lighter rounds.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

Kinda off topic, but Ive seen a few people say it....
It was Hatcher that did the military bolt action tests. He tested a Type 38. It took welding a bolt in the barrel and even then the barrel exploded not the action. The rifle was later rebarreled and functioned perfectly.