AR15 buffer tube/ take down pin problem - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > AR15 buffer tube/ take down pin problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthooah04 View Post
I would go with JonM. If the upper and lower are together when the pin is in I would look at the buffer assembly. I Would also look at the buffer retaining pin to see if it's too long haven't had a problem like that but I have gotten a few parts and springs that wouldn't work in different manufacturers guns.
I am going to go with this answer as well. The buffer retainer pin should only be as long as needed to hold the buffer in place. If its too long, it could hit in the rear of the bolt carrier, or rub on the bottom. If you think either of these are happening, check your bcg. Pull it out and look at the rear, you should see a little indent where you have been pulling the carrier into the retainer pin, but thats as far as it will go if its a complete obstruction. If its rubbing, you should see a line scratched into the channel of the carrier where the retainer will follow during normal cycle of the weapon.

If it is too long, there are two basic things you can do. 1st is to purchase a new one that is a tad smaller, or use a stone and file to shorten the length of the pin. If you file it down, make sure to smooth it back out with very fine sand paper.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #12

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I think he is just feeling the tension of the buffer spring which is normal . Dont be a sissy , rack that ol girl like you mean it . Pull it back and let it go . Dont try to ride the BCG back home , release and let her slam home .

When he removes the rear takedown pin , it moves easily . Yeah when you have the upper open no spring tension .
When you lock it down you have spring tension .
This is simple there is nothing wrong with it . The buffer pin is either engaged with the buffer tube or its gone .
I think you are all over thinking this one .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-11-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #13
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecontrol663 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
Hello FireControl...... we need you back!