Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > AR15 80% lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 80% lowers

I am considering purchasing some 80% AR15 lowers and a drilling jig to see how hard it is finish one. My question is after I finish the lower do I need to have the lower heat treated to harden it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Generally no. The lower receiver is not where the primary stress is. Before beginning, go ahead and watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=SYUfcxnDSWg&NR=1 (similar videos also exist there, as well as some how to anondize videos) and know you also that some jigs are out there specifically designed for folks that have only a drill press instead of a mini-mill.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #3

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

How much would it cost to make one of these, everything included

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Check out the vendor links at the bottom of http://www.darksoultactical.com/workshop.html for prices and wait times. Demand drives up prices. There are other vendors out there too. Add the lower and upper and internal parts and you are probably in the $900 range. Your big decision will be whether or not to go with a mil spec lower or a non milspec unit. Read the fine print and ask questions of the vendor if you can't tell mil spec from non. Either way all the other parts should be the same, i.e., mil spec or after market manufacturer specific. You will need a jig. Which Jig will depend on which manufacturer's billet you are using as non mil spec billets use different jigs than do the mil spec ones. Likewise, will you be using a drill press or will you be using an actual mill (or mini mill)? Again different jigs for each. Jigs run about $100 but you can use them over and over. Or use, copy, and then sell one to the next guy. There are plenty of decent videos on you tube showing you what is involved. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=SYUfcxnDSWg&NR=1 is a good beginning. There are also videos dealing with anodizing with various colors unless you get one pre-anodized (I find that sometimes scuffs in a jig, and black is so boring anyway).

Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

I am currently looking at the drill press style jigs now.I have a lot more thought and research before I consider venturing into this.
Thank you for the links.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #6

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I have a drill press...is it hard to do with a drill press as compared to a mill?

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNARG View Post
I have a drill press...is it hard to do with a drill press as compared to a mill?
Trust me am fully aware that a drill press I not designed for this type of work.
Please keep any other info coming as it is very much appreciated. I will let you know what I decide on doing. I also know in order to justify this type of expense to start manufacturing these I will really need a good size of capital and customer base.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually it's pretty easy to do with a drill press if you're using a jig. Just buy some end mill bits. Oh, and be sure to get some jb weld because you will mess up.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Okay, so you buy a lower, need a good drill press if you don't have a mill, need to buy the correct bits, need to buy the jig, and jb weld, as well as other things.

Does it justify buy a 80% lower over a complete one cost wise?
Or am I missing something?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #10

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Okay, so you buy a lower, need a good drill press if you don't have a mill, need to buy the correct bits, need to buy the jig, and jb weld, as well as other things.

Does it justify buy a 80% lower over a complete one cost wise?
Or am I missing something?
I think alot of people do the 80% because they can ship them to your door, no FFL required , there is zero paperwork involved , no back ground checks , blah blah blah, personally with everything coming back in stock and lowers easily at $100 and lower , I will just buy one done . Yes , I have to go thru a FFL , no biggy , yes there is paperwork involved " I dont care I have alot of paperwork already out in the world, I get fingerprinted every 2 years for my job and I have nothing to hide from anyone so I just dont need to go that route , however it would be a fun project for my kids and I to call our own .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens