AR No go BANG!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > AR No go BANG!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR No go BANG!

I had been patiently waiting almost 3 weeks for my trigger, the last part needed, to arrive and yesterday it came in. I was stoked! By the time I got home and got it installed it was too late for me to try it out so I waited until this morning. When I was finally able to see to shoot I went out and anxiously squeezed the trigger CLICK! Ok bad primer, so I cycle it and the round is hanging up on the bolt face, I pop it off and chamber another round again I anxiously squeeze the trigger, again CLICK! Neither round had been struck by the firing pin, and again the round is hung up on the bolt. I swapped the bolt carrier group and again the same issue. I swap uppers and bang, so I try the upper on a different lower and click! The takedown pins are stiff with the problematic upper compared to others. What are your thoughts as to what the problem may be? Any idea is appreciated. This isn't my first build, but it is my first complication with a build. Thanks guys.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6178 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 447

good detailed close up pics of the bolt group the chamber lug area and with the bcg installed and in the closed position from the ejection side and bottom.

also who made the upper and if you did what parts were used.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2944 Times on 2047 Posts
Likes Given: 1472

Is the firing pin stuck in the bolt, or if not does it protrude far enough?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

If the bolt and upper are configured correctly the firing pin has to strike the primer, unless the pin is broken...it has no where else to go.

Process of elimination...

Is gas tube seating into gas key properly?
Is bolt facing proper direction with extractor to the right?
Are trigger springs installed properly?
Is bolt catch hanging up the hammer's forward movement?

Chamber a round and give forward assist a nudge, there should be little or no forward movement if everything is seating properly. If all else fails remove trigger group, check that the bolt slides freely and the gas tube properly seats in key, and that key is tightly stakes and oriented properly. Reinstall trigger and test, making sure the hammer doesn't slam into bolt catch.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 10-15-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 2421 Times on 1419 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Ensure that the firing pin retaining pin is installed correctly and allowing the firing pin to travel fully forward.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 538

If your description of what happened is accurate, then it sounds like the hammer is not making contact with the firing pin because the new bolt and bolt carrier combination for your build is not going fully into battery.

Find out whether or not the bolt is firmly locked into the barrel extension after you cycle the weapon using a dummy cartridge or go gauge. If the locking lugs on the head of the new bolt are not completely locking up into the barrel extension when a cartridge is fed into the chamber, then the rifle should not fire. If it did fire, you might have a really bad day.

Your post seems to describe the result of a headspace issue caused by improperly machined or assembled parts or out-of-spec ammunition. When you assembled the parts for your new rifle, did you check to see if the bolt's locking lugs would lock into the barrel extension using a go-gauge and fail to lock on a no-go gauge?

If I ride the charging handle of my Colt carbine forward so that the locking lugs are not fully locked into the barrel extension and then I pull the trigger, I'll get a click, but the hammer will have contacted the rear of the bolt carrier instead of the head of the firing pin and that's a good thing.

If the bolt's locking lugs aren't fully locked into the barrel extension when you cycle the weapon to chamber a cartridge, then you do not want the weapon to fire.

If you had a light versus non-existent indentation on the primer, you may have improperly assembled the hammer spring when you installed your new trigger.

When you push on the ejector in your new bolt does it function normally? Can you depress the ejector all the way using the point of a ball point pen?

Take your rifle to a gunsmith. He should be able to sort these issues out pretty easily.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1243 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Ensure that the firing pin retaining pin is installed correctly and allowing the firing pin to travel fully forward.
Forgot about that one, Doc. I figured he'd know how to properly install the firing pin but that will also cause a problem.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #8

Liked 2421 Times on 1419 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
Forgot about that one, Doc. I figured he'd know how to properly install the firing pin but that will also cause a problem.
Done it when not paying attention once.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #9

Turns out that the upper is out of spec just enough to prevent it from firing. Something about it being too short. Thanks for the replies and assistance.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1399 Posts
Likes Given: 1448

laynejc,

What kind of parts did you buy! Sometimes is an effort to save money we buy inferior parts. Please list what brands you purchased. This should be a warning to others and no disrespect to you. Too many Jack the Hacks making AR parts if you know what I mean.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy