AR feeding issues?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > AR feeding issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AR feeding issues?

My friend just bought an ar and we were running wolf ammo through it today at the range. We had about 6 ftf's in 40 rounds. He was kind of guessing that it was a problem with the buffer tube weight or spring not being powerful enough to get the wolf ammo to clear the bolt and cycle into the chamber. Any ideas or similar issues? Ideas?

He is currently looking for a new spring and weight if anyone has extras and are willing to trade or purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Whoa!!

Don't go spending any money yet, you might have a more simple issue.

Is this the standard lacquer covered Wolf ammo? Did this happen right away, or after say 20 rounds in rapid succession? Did this happen with more than one magazine? Or were all the rounds fired from the same magazine after the problems started?

Were these the first ever rounds fired from the weapon? You said your friend just bought an AR, but didn't say if it was new or used.

Help us, help you...

JD

Old 07-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

New custom built by a professional shop with what my friend chose. We fired 100 rounds of brass through it without one problem last week. He ordered the wolf ammo this past week and got it in the mail yesterday. We took it to the range today and this happened. It was with one mag because his 2nd mag was loaded with the good brass for sighting his new scope in. 2 were the first time the mag was loaded, 3 were the 2nd time it was loaded. It didn't seem like it was lacquer covered. I remember it was like a camo colored box and when opened it was all inside of the brown paper. It was all in single shot because we were sighting the scope in. No rapid fire.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

That was wolf ammo. First try another Mag before he sinks any money into it. If it continues take it back to the shop he spent his hard earned money on and make them fix it. What brand of AR is it? How a out lubrication on the bolt? What's he using and is he using plenty of it? ARs don't run great dry.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The same mag had the brass ammo last week when it fed just fine. It has multiple parts. Couldn't tell you what brands off the top of my head. Paid roughly 1300$ for it. All very fair price for what he got though.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

xcore,

One thing that comes to mind. If it is a custom built rifle makes me ask what chamber does it have in it 223 Remington or 5.56. He needs to find out and as JD said we can go from there. If the other ammunition worked well in it sure points directly at the Wolf ammunition. Also what Buffer does the custom rifle have! Collapsible Stock? With Standard CAR Buffer, H-1, H-2.
Need more detailed info on the rifle itself! I think what you meant to say is the Wolf ammunition is not hot enough to operate the weapon by compressing the buffer and buffer spring. When you were referring to the spring weight and so forth. You were thinking in reverse.
And as they mentioned could be two defective magazines?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The mags didn't seem to be the problem as the brass all cycled through them both properly. No clue what buffer it has. Collapsible stock is a yes. I was just looking around for him really. Yes I was talking about compressing the buffer and whatnot. Since the brass cycled probably we figured it was either the wolf ammo or the buffer wasn't compressing.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #8

Okay, call your buddy and tell him NOT to spend another dollar yet!!!

You have a "custom built" rifle and you were firing the worst shi*ite ammo out there, so chances are good his gunsmith is going to look at you with a "WTF?" look on his face.

First things first. He sent 100 rounds of brass downrange without incident. That means the thing was functioning before you introduced the rough ammo (think of the worst rot gut booze you ever drank and the after effects, that is how your buddies' AR is feeling right now ).

He needs to thoroughly clean the chamber, the throat, the BCG and really do a good job. He needs to get in there with an old toothbrush and scrub that thing out like his first set of custom rims.

From there he needs to take it back to the range with brass rounds and shoot it.

IF there are problems, only then can he go back to the gunsmith.

I am betting if he does as described he will find that it functions as designed.

sniper03 had a very good point about the chamber. I would bet it's probably 5.56 or at least Wylde, but it's something to check into if the 2nd brass shooting goes awry.

JD

Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

He was being cheap when he bought the wolf. He knew that it was a bad move before even doing it and I told him even to put the 100$ more and get the brass. He couldn't go wrong with brass. It's his rifle so I couldn't really tell him what to do with it. He just doesn't want to put the money into the reloading press. He will learn eventually.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx View Post
He just doesn't want to put the money into the reloading press. He will learn eventually.
First off - WORD!!

Second, you don't need to reload to shoot this platform in a cost effective basis.

I bought 500 rounds of bulk ammo from Surplus Ammo and Arms in Lakewood about 3 times in the last 18 months. These guys are at every local gunshow and always have good, to very good, prices. They also ship.

Tell your buddy to put that crap in the back of the safe and forget about it until he really NEEDS it.

Have him clean the thing and shoot a few hundred rounds of the good stuff and see how it performs.

** Then tell him to take back 98% of the bad things he said about the gunsmith that sold it to him. **

JD