Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > AR-15 help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AR-15 help!

I don't want to break anything.

I have a RRA National Match that I must put on a RRA Quad Rail. I took off the A2 hand guard to expose the free float tube. I got the locking ring loosened and turned back as far as it will go , it is against the barrel nut but can't see how to get the float tube off. I guess it could be threaded on too?

Thanks in advance.
John

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

Roper,
The Free Float Tube under the Rock River Arms National Match Hand Guard has RED Loctite on it. In order to remove it. First Remove the Flash Hider. Then the Front Sight Assembly Pins and assembly from the barrel. Then you will need a 2 1/2 inch Strap Wrench to remove the tube. And also a torch like one of the small Ronson Butane Torches like you see at Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot. You will need to heat the tube in the area of the lock nut that you loosened and get it pretty hot while continuing to apply pressure with the strap wrench "at the same time". If you have a problem please PM me and I can assist. Use caution not to collapse the tube while removing it!
Here is a picture of the Torch I use!

ronson-torch.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 03-09-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you Sniper03 , I thought that but didn't know for sure. I'll try it tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5289 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i know it is your rifle and you can do what you want, but i honestly am wondering why you would change up the work of art that is the rra national match??

there arent any made as well as that rifle until you hit custom territory or something from white oak.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good morning JonM,

The reason is , I need the top rail for my new scope. This is my predator and varmint rifle. I can't get the eye relief unless I put on another rail.

It is scaring me to change it. I have the rifle shooting less than 3/4 in. groups. But I needed a mil-dot scope.

Thanks
John

Last edited by Roper; 03-10-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Maybe you need a Burris PEPR scope mount

image.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Yes a cantilever scope mount like the one above or one from American Defense, LaRue or others. may be cheaper than the quad rail and still leave your rifle in original configuration.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I called RRA ( got through wow) and I was told they (do) put loctite on the barrel nut. So heat gun here I come.

Thanks all.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

It is quite possible mounting you scope half on the rail half off the rail will really screw with that 3/4 group you have going on. I would go with the Burris like mentioned above.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have both the RRA and the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount. They work just fine!

Sounds like you're trying to go from Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Denver.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello