Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Gunsmithing Forum (
-   -   AR-15 help! (

Roper 03-09-2013 06:48 PM

AR-15 help!
I don't want to break anything.

I have a RRA National Match that I must put on a RRA Quad Rail. I took off the A2 hand guard to expose the free float tube. I got the locking ring loosened and turned back as far as it will go , it is against the barrel nut but can't see how to get the float tube off. I guess it could be threaded on too?

Thanks in advance.

Sniper03 03-09-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Free Float Tube under the Rock River Arms National Match Hand Guard has RED Loctite on it. In order to remove it. First Remove the Flash Hider. Then the Front Sight Assembly Pins and assembly from the barrel. Then you will need a 2 1/2 inch Strap Wrench to remove the tube. And also a torch like one of the small Ronson Butane Torches like you see at Walmart, Lowe's or Home Depot. You will need to heat the tube in the area of the lock nut that you loosened and get it pretty hot while continuing to apply pressure with the strap wrench "at the same time". If you have a problem please PM me and I can assist. Use caution not to collapse the tube while removing it!
Here is a picture of the Torch I use!

Roper 03-09-2013 10:44 PM

Thank you Sniper03 , I thought that but didn't know for sure. I'll try it tomorrow.

JonM 03-10-2013 04:06 AM

i know it is your rifle and you can do what you want, but i honestly am wondering why you would change up the work of art that is the rra national match??

there arent any made as well as that rifle until you hit custom territory or something from white oak.

Roper 03-10-2013 01:26 PM

Good morning JonM,

The reason is , I need the top rail for my new scope. This is my predator and varmint rifle. I can't get the eye relief unless I put on another rail.

It is scaring me to change it. I have the rifle shooting less than 3/4 in. groups. But I needed a mil-dot scope.


Gatoragn 03-10-2013 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe you need a Burris PEPR scope mount

SSGN_Doc 03-10-2013 03:44 PM

Yes a cantilever scope mount like the one above or one from American Defense, LaRue or others. may be cheaper than the quad rail and still leave your rifle in original configuration.

Roper 03-13-2013 01:33 AM

I called RRA ( got through wow) and I was told they (do) put loctite on the barrel nut. So heat gun here I come.

Thanks all.

DRBogart 03-13-2013 01:40 AM

It is quite possible mounting you scope half on the rail half off the rail will really screw with that 3/4 group you have going on. I would go with the Burris like mentioned above.

canebrake 03-13-2013 01:43 AM

I have both the RRA and the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount. They work just fine!

Sounds like you're trying to go from Cleveland to Pittsburgh via Denver.

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.