apprentice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > apprentice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default apprentice

What's the best way to find someone to shadow. Looking to be an apprentice. Tampa bay area.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Best to begin learning on your own. Read and absorb all you can. Fiddle with your guns. Buy kits and install/build them. Take Armorer courses.
Most gunsmiths want to see some kind of experience and drive. It is not an easy business to get into and you need to have a Love for it. You will not get rich.
Oh and Welcome to FTF.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Best to begin learning on your own. Read and absorb all you can. Fiddle with your guns. Buy kits and install/build them. Take Armorer courses.
Most gunsmiths want to see some kind of experience and drive. It is not an easy business to get into and you need to have a Love for it. You will not get rich.
Oh and Welcome to FTF.
Thank you. That's whatbibbeen doing for several konths now. Took ar15 platform armorer course and plannon taking more but would love to shadow someone to learn more. Thanks a lot for advice greatly appreciated

Old 08-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Happy to help. If you look around I think we even have a thread covering your different options for schools etc.

I don't need No stinking signature.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

OP, this guy's a Smith ^
Great person to get advice from on the matter.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
OP, this guy's a Smith ^
Great person to get advice from on the matter.
Is op on here can't find him. Hope u can help. Thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorales33 View Post

Is op on here can't find him. Hope u can help. Thanks
Lol, "OP" stands for "original poster", "original post", or "opening post", or similar. It's often used when people can't remember exactly who started a thread, but remember the nature of the opening post. Such as, "back to the subject of the OP..." (opening post), or, "hey, OP, have you ever considered.." (opening/original poster)

YOU'RE the OP in this thread!

Mountainman is a Smith, he's the guy I was referring to!

Last edited by trip286; 08-25-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Lol, "OP" stands for "original poster", "original post", or "opening post", or similar. It's often used when people can't remember exactly who started a thread, but remember the nature of the opening post. Such as, "back to the subject of the OP..." (opening post), or, "hey, OP, have you ever considered.." (opening/original poster)

YOU'RE the OP in this thread!

Mountainman is a Smith, he's the guy I was referring to!
Wow I feel dumb now. Lol ok thanks

Old 08-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorales33 View Post

Wow I feel dumb now. Lol ok thanks
No need, if you're new to forums, you wouldn't have known.

We used to have a mod who gave every newcomer a welcoming message that included a list of definitions and acronyms to commonly used forum terms, but he's quit retirement and jumped on board with getting a new range up and running, and now working there full time, so we don't get to hear from him much.

I believe these terms and rules are stickied in the intro section (means they're "pinned" to the top).

If you haven't done so already, your oughta drop by the intro section and introduce yourself. People are more willing to open up and share around here once they get to know you a bit.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say, "welcome aboard" if you haven't already been welcomed!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

No need, if you're new to forums, you wouldn't have known.

We used to have a mod who gave every newcomer a welcoming message that included a list of definitions and acronyms to commonly used forum terms, but he's quit retirement and jumped on board with getting a new range up and running, and now working there full time, so we don't get to hear from him much.

I believe these terms and rules are stickied in the intro section (means they're "pinned" to the top).

If you haven't done so already, your oughta drop by the intro section and introduce yourself. People are more willing to open up and share around here once they get to know you a bit.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say, "welcome aboard" if you haven't already been welcomed!
Thank you very much. Ill introduce myself to you and then the rest. My name is gus I live in florida. Im a firefighter paramedic and I also teach paramedics. I loved guns all my life but recently started to take classes online and armorer classes. Looking to apprentice some where to keep dying trade alive and one day pass on to my son. thanks gus