Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   apprentice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/apprentice-95977/)

gmorales33 08-25-2013 01:19 AM

apprentice

What's the best way to find someone to shadow. Looking to be an apprentice. Tampa bay area.

mountainman13 08-25-2013 01:23 AM

Best to begin learning on your own. Read and absorb all you can. Fiddle with your guns. Buy kits and install/build them. Take Armorer courses.
Most gunsmiths want to see some kind of experience and drive. It is not an easy business to get into and you need to have a Love for it. You will not get rich.
Oh and Welcome to FTF.

gmorales33 08-25-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1345776)
Best to begin learning on your own. Read and absorb all you can. Fiddle with your guns. Buy kits and install/build them. Take Armorer courses.
Most gunsmiths want to see some kind of experience and drive. It is not an easy business to get into and you need to have a Love for it. You will not get rich.
Oh and Welcome to FTF.

Thank you. That's whatbibbeen doing for several konths now. Took ar15 platform armorer course and plannon taking more but would love to shadow someone to learn more. Thanks a lot for advice greatly appreciated

mountainman13 08-25-2013 01:30 AM

Happy to help. If you look around I think we even have a thread covering your different options for schools etc.

trip286 08-25-2013 01:33 AM

OP, this guy's a Smith ^
Great person to get advice from on the matter.

gmorales33 08-25-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1345796)
OP, this guy's a Smith ^
Great person to get advice from on the matter.

Is op on here can't find him. Hope u can help. Thanks

trip286 08-25-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorales33 (Post 1345957)

Is op on here can't find him. Hope u can help. Thanks

Lol, "OP" stands for "original poster", "original post", or "opening post", or similar. It's often used when people can't remember exactly who started a thread, but remember the nature of the opening post. Such as, "back to the subject of the OP..." (opening post), or, "hey, OP, have you ever considered.." (opening/original poster)

YOU'RE the OP in this thread! :)

Mountainman is a Smith, he's the guy I was referring to!

gmorales33 08-25-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1345962)

Lol, "OP" stands for "original poster", "original post", or "opening post", or similar. It's often used when people can't remember exactly who started a thread, but remember the nature of the opening post. Such as, "back to the subject of the OP..." (opening post), or, "hey, OP, have you ever considered.." (opening/original poster)

YOU'RE the OP in this thread! :)

Mountainman is a Smith, he's the guy I was referring to!

Wow I feel dumb now. Lol ok thanks

trip286 08-25-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmorales33 (Post 1345968)

Wow I feel dumb now. Lol ok thanks

No need, if you're new to forums, you wouldn't have known.

We used to have a mod who gave every newcomer a welcoming message that included a list of definitions and acronyms to commonly used forum terms, but he's quit retirement and jumped on board with getting a new range up and running, and now working there full time, so we don't get to hear from him much.

I believe these terms and rules are stickied in the intro section (means they're "pinned" to the top).

If you haven't done so already, your oughta drop by the intro section and introduce yourself. People are more willing to open up and share around here once they get to know you a bit.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say, "welcome aboard" if you haven't already been welcomed!

gmorales33 08-25-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1345983)

No need, if you're new to forums, you wouldn't have known.

We used to have a mod who gave every newcomer a welcoming message that included a list of definitions and acronyms to commonly used forum terms, but he's quit retirement and jumped on board with getting a new range up and running, and now working there full time, so we don't get to hear from him much.

I believe these terms and rules are stickied in the intro section (means they're "pinned" to the top).

If you haven't done so already, your oughta drop by the intro section and introduce yourself. People are more willing to open up and share around here once they get to know you a bit.

By the way, allow me to be the first to say, "welcome aboard" if you haven't already been welcomed!

Thank you very much. Ill introduce myself to you and then the rest. My name is gus I live in florida. Im a firefighter paramedic and I also teach paramedics. I loved guns all my life but recently started to take classes online and armorer classes. Looking to apprentice some where to keep dying trade alive and one day pass on to my son. thanks gus