Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Anti-Rust Tactics (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/anti-rust-tactics-24250/)

Cowboy 03-05-2010 06:23 PM

Anti-Rust Tactics

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum. I love shooting, but because of a busy work schedule my guns often sit for long periods of time between use. I always clean and oil them after trips to the range, but is there anything special I can do to them (or something I can put in the gun safe with them) that will help prevent rust?

I haven't had any problems yet, but you never know...

ThorsHammer 03-05-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy (Post 241867)
Hello, all. I'm new to the forum. I love shooting, but because of a busy work schedule my guns often sit for long periods of time between use. I always clean and oil them after trips to the range, but is there anything special I can do to them (or something I can put in the gun safe with them) that will help prevent rust?

Put a dehumidifier INSIDE the safe. Some safes come configured with this, or at least have the mountings for a dehumidifier.

Davyboy 03-05-2010 07:10 PM

Rust is the enemy

Quote:

Take mine out about once a month spray with gun oil atomizer quick wipe have never had a spec of rust in 40 years.

stalkingbear 03-05-2010 08:18 PM

Put a dehumidifier inside the safe as Thorshammer recommended. The best 1 (the 1 I use) is the Goldenrod.

JonM 03-05-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

make sure the safe you have isnt lined with foam. that stuff will attract moisture. keeping guns in a foam lined container for extended time you might as well store em in sea salt.

canebrake 03-05-2010 09:13 PM

I keep all my medium/long storage firearms in Bore-Stores.

Bore Stores Homepage

Bore-Stores Long Gun Cases

Gun Bore Stores

Never had a problem.

Davyboy 03-05-2010 09:28 PM

Bloody hell Kane

You must be loaded man.

zhuk 03-05-2010 10:17 PM

How would a container of Damp-rid inside the safe go, does anyone know?

Someone at my club is having trouble with rust on a bolt in his newish Savage .22; since the range safe is in a ramshackle-falling down wooden building on site (right near the ocean). He keeps everything well-oiled every week, but it doesn't seem to be helping :confused:

CA357 03-05-2010 10:25 PM

What's already been suggested works. May I also suggest silicone gun socks. They're pretty inexpensive and they work well. :cool:

zhuk 03-05-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 242035)
What's already been suggested works. May I also suggest silicone gun socks. They're pretty inexpensive and they work well. :cool:

Thanks CA, will definately mention that idea to him :) Dehumidifiers aren't an option for range-storage.