Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Air compressor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/air-compressor-77480/)

Bullduck 12-01-2012 03:04 PM

Air compressor

I'm a newbie looking to do some gun refinishing & small projects at home. In shopping for an air compressor & blasting cabinet I realized I don't know what I need to look for in minimum requirements of these devices. I will be working on both long guns & pistols. The compressor's size, power, & output appear to be important. And I hope to get some help selecting a blasting cabinet that's adequate for a reasonable cost. I'm not interested in cutting corners & will pay for quality.

Axxe55 12-01-2012 03:25 PM

check out Harbor Freight or Northern Tool Supply. refinishing won't require a lot of air usage, so even a smaller compressor would work fine. the blast cabinet is the item that will use a lot of air and determine the size of compressor needed. find the cabinet that suits your needs and then match a compressor to that cabinet based on CFM needed to operate properly.

HOSSFLY 12-01-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1034599)
check out Harbor Freight or Northern Tool Supply. refinishing won't require a lot of air usage, so even a smaller compressor would work fine. the blast cabinet is the item that will use a lot of air and determine the size of compressor needed. find the cabinet that suits your needs and then match a compressor to that cabinet based on CFM needed to operate properly.

Agree--Harbor Freight is the 1st place i go for tools & such--
Course they don't carry exspensive lifetime high dollar stuff but i ain't busted too much from there :) I've had my air compressor for almost 5yrs - paid about $120=

Bullduck 12-01-2012 06:13 PM

Appreciate it. You've got me started in the right direction. Any other suggestions & the wisdom of experience are welcomed.

Axxe55 12-01-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullduck (Post 1034797)
Appreciate it. You've got me started in the right direction. Any other suggestions & the wisdom of experience are welcomed.

doing long guns will require a much larger cabinet than just doing pistols and the larger the blast cabinet, the larger the compressor will need to be. my brother uses one in his business and it's large enough to fit large items into and he uses a compressor that has an 80 gal. tank with a 2 stage compressor that puts out a maximum of 175 psi. also has to have 220 volts to run. it's an Ingersol Rand he bought at Tractor Supply Company and cost him about $1600. the main thing you need for a blast cabinet is volume, hence the reason for him going to a compressor with an 80 gal. tank. plus his air system is plumbed with an auxillary 60 gal. reserve tank to increase the volume of air.

kfox75 12-01-2012 07:13 PM

Look into different blasting mediums. Coarse sand works pretty well on most surfaces, but not all. Some of the ones I use in my cabinet are, baking soda, crushed walnut sheels, plastic beads, Glass bbeads, fine, medium, and coarse samds. and ground up asphalt. All are for different surfaces, and all do an excellent job on the materials they are meant for.

Get the blasting cabinet first, then match the compressor to it. As was said by other posts, You will want a large volume of air, so make your purchase accordingly.

+1 on the reserve air tank.