is AGI a legit gunsmithing program
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > is AGI a legit gunsmithing program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default is AGI a legit gunsmithing program

I wanted to take some kind of online gunsmithing course just to get my feet wet and build my knowledge about guns and found this site but I don't want to be ripped off.. Any know if they are reputable or not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

They are very expensive. Their videos are great to have on hand but I would recommend buying them as needed or wanted.
If you are going to spend in the area of $10k for a home program I would recommend sonoran desert institute. They have a good program with some hands on projects and you can further your studies with their associates in firearms technology course.
http://www.sdi.edu/gunsmithing.html

There are a couple other starter programs that are cheaper $1k if that's what your looking for check out Penn fosters program.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In my opinion, you would be better off going to a good bookstore and buying some good books on general gunsmithing, riflesmithing or pistolsmithing. You can also get great books on specific firearms. I have seen some of the online gunsmithing courses and IMHO, they are not worth the money or the time and that comes from me having 45 years in the trade.

Jim...........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Im currently taking an online because Im out of the country at the moment and will be for a while, but its through Ashworth College and its pretty good. I only paid alittle over $900 for it and it gives about 116 college hours which works really well with the my military career at the moment.

But its also like masterPsmith said it will never make up for 45 years of hands on. It will be something to start out with, but if you have a local shop that you can ask to help at or see if they can put you as an apprentice of something like that it would be good too.

I know just from being a machinist what they teach in a classroom is never enough to just say I can do it.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First thanks for your service.
Now, the ashworth course is ok. I looked into it. My only problem with the ashworth course is that it is entirely based off of a $35 gunsmithing book. A newer edition of the first book on the topic that I ever purchased. It is a good book but besides that if you are paying out of pocket for the course it is not worth it.
Penn foster is slightly more in depth but also is a knowledge base only. If I remember correctly its actually a bit cheaper than ashworth.
The course goes from very basic stuff up to an introduction to more advanced smithing and machine operation and into starting your business. As I said though its basically only a knowledge base for opening a home based ffl.
The sonoran desert program is hands down the best home based course but still not as good as a brick and mortar school.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #6

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

The best advise is masterPsmith -
"buying some good books on general gunsmithing, riflesmithing or pistolsmithing."
Brownells has many books on this subject. The books can be referred to again and again. I doubt that there are any great gunsmiths that don't have a big library of gun books. I have over three dozen and after all my years of gunsmithing I still look at them.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

While a good library is beneficial to have to fall back on and freshen up on things. Walking into an ffl and saying I'm looking for a gunsmithing job or apprenticeship. I have read some books. Ain't gonna cut it.
Atleast if you can show you have made the investment of time and money and passed a course. You are showing dedication and the ability to learn. Now if you can bring some builds with you and that diploma. You got something there.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah thats really all that I was looking for because Im not going to go big with it and make a living or anything like that is a little side job that I've always just wanted to do mainly for fun and little about the cash flow.

But I already have a good understanding about most firearms just from the military and being around them most of my life and the fact that I hang out in a gun shop while I'm off of work and my wife is at work haha.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The biggest problem I see with correspondence courses is that there is no "hands on" training. For many subjects, you need to do to really learn. Learning theory and seeing others do it is good, but there's no substitute to actually practicing whatever one is learning.

You need to think of it like this. Would you trust repairing your car to someone that learned by mail and had no experience actually fixing a car? What about treating an injury by an EMT that learned online? For continuing ed, maybe. For a newbie, think about it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Absolutely agree. That's why I recommend sonoran desert atleast they have some hands on. Either way you need the experience. Without a basic knowledge base it would be very foolish to pick up a gun and start working on it.
The hands on is a must and anyone who takes an online course must take it upon them selves to put what they learn to use at their own expense.
Just a scary side note emt's don't really have hands on as part of their training. Splinting a persons leg in a college classroom and pretending to handle a sucking chest wound is not real experience.
Point is you have to start somewhere.