Advice for first attempt at Re-Bluing.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Advice for first attempt at Re-Bluing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Advice for first attempt at Re-Bluing.

I recently got hold of a Ruger Standard Mk1 .22 that had be stored in leather holster in a relatives attic for 25yrs or so. One side was nearly pristine and the other had rust and minor pitting on the surface. I've taken it into the white, but some very light pitting remains on the receiver and front of trigger guard and grip. I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try and get rid of all the pitting, or If I risk taking away too much metal. So far I've just used sandpapers and steel wools. The pits are like grains of fine pepper but to eliminate them completely won't be easy by hand. I could probably live with the pitting if I have to.
I plan on using Brownell's Ox-Pho to do the entire gun and since this is a first attempt I thought I'd ask for advice. I've watched a few Youtube vids. and it seems like something I can do. I'm not expecting phenomenonal results, I'd just like to do the best job I can. Any thoughts or comments welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #2

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I'd say you are doing just fine and have a good plan. you are only forgetting one step- - When done we need PICTURES!!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Ruger will refinish your pistol for $80. You won't be far from that after you buy chemicals.

http://www.ruger.com/service/serviceFees.html

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

just like wood work - what seems small as you sand down (buff)
will stand our once you refinish. once the surface is right (or as good
as it can get) the most important step is cleaning. degrease the work
really good and you will get better results.. after bluing and cleaning, a
really good coat of oil is a must to stop the process.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

And remove all springs. Do not get degreaser/blueing remover on this springs. They will break.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks everyone for your replies! For Hiwall: pics will be forthcoming, sadly I didn't take any before shots to show how it looked after 25yrs in a leather holster. For Old_Crow: If I was going to spend $80 on it, I'd just go the extra for a nice new one. It's nearly 45 years old and God knows how many 1000's of rounds down range. I'm not afraid to let it show it's history. Re-bluing is just something I'd like to try. For Drriley and willfully armed: your tips are appreciated, specially about the springs. I hadn't seen that warning before. I hope I can get everything this weekend and update progress next week.

I hit it...didn't I?

Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Remember when you think it's all clean stop and do it again!!! Lessons learned the hard way!!!!