advertised as "unfired"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > advertised as "unfired"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default advertised as "unfired"

How can you tell if a gun advertised as "unfired" really is, especially since even new guns are usually fired at least once at the factory?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sure hope someone can answer your question----I have wondered about that for a while now ! Makes me skiddish when I see a used gun.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

Technically, As soon as it's fired, it's used. Ask the person behind the counter if he or she will field strip it for you. Look at the amount of wear on the internal parts such as the back of the guide rod, the barrel locking lugs, etc. Basically anything that you can visually check. I personally like to see symetrical wear on everything that sees wear. If you only have wear on one side of a component, I'd be worried. Look for gouging, malling, peening. Those are things that may indicate a higher mileage gun. I don't worry too much about the finish, some finishes aren't as durable as others so may show wear earlier on.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Even the "new" car has been driven from the assembly line to the train, to the truck and onto the dealer's lot. I've never seen a "new" car with less than 6 or 7 miles on it. Don't sweat it. Lightly used is barely broken in.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While there's nothing wrong per se with a like new firearm, it would make me wonder,especially on an handgun, why somebody got rid of it that quick. Does it have a nasty habit of malfunctioning? Unless you're offered a hellova deal, wayy below new price, I would recommend sticking with actual new firearms. This really comes into play (for me anyway) with centerfire rifles as I'm a FIRM believer in properly breaking in the barrel-especially on factory level barrels. Bottom line is if they give it a cleaning, you cannot tell if just a few rounds have been fired through an semi-auto. Revolvers will exhibit lines on the cylinder from being rotated, and cylinder face/bottom of topstrap may be stained as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #6

EVERY firearm sold in the US has been fired for liability insurance purposes.

Best bet is to examine the firearm for other than normal wear or have a gunsmith examine it.

UNFIRED is just a lie.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #7

Default "unfired"

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
While there's nothing wrong per se with a like new firearm, it would make me wonder,especially on an handgun, why somebody got rid of it that quick. Does it have a nasty habit of malfunctioning? Unless you're offered a hellova deal, wayy below new price, I would recommend sticking with actual new firearms. This really comes into play (for me anyway) with centerfire rifles as I'm a FIRM believer in properly breaking in the barrel-especially on factory level barrels. Bottom line is if they give it a cleaning, you cannot tell if just a few rounds have been fired through an semi-auto. Revolvers will exhibit lines on the cylinder from being rotated, and cylinder face/bottom of topstrap may be stained as well.
I picked up a S&W Model 629 4" .44 mag for $299 a couple of years back. The previous owner shot about 12 rounds through it and pu$$ed out. Traded it in and gave me a great opportunity. Some times people bite off more than they can chew.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #9

Yeah, but . . .

"Unfired in box" is a sales condition term. They get fired at the factory before they ship.

I just ran a patch down the bore of a new Rem. 700 Police "unfired" straight out of the box, out of the shop -- Solvent on a brush, let sit and then run a wet patch. It came out really, really black. Second patch came out clean.

Even new guns get the once over before I shoot them.

But "unfired in box" is a sales/condition thing. Generally it means that the action hasn't been cycled (like in a revolver or semi-auto), and not dry fired. Collectables are often sold "unfired in box" . . . Like a limited edition, commemorative whatever.