adjustable trigger for remington 742
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > adjustable trigger for remington 742

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default adjustable trigger for remington 742

Does anyone know where you can find an adjustable trigger for a Remington 742 Woodsmaster? I went to Timneys website and they do not list one.
A gunsmith here could not think of one. Mine is so hard to pull it throws your aim off.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know much about the Remington 742 to be honest.

However -

Rifle Basix is a company that we buy a lot of Remington drop ins from. They make a very good trigger. I don't know if they have your specific model I am afraid.

I am afraid I don't know of anyone out there that is making a drop in if the folks at Rifle Basix aren't.

As a way of consulation, any quality gunsmith can do a decent trigger job on the stock trigger and improve it for you.

Best of luck -

JD

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #3

Remington has a VERY adjustable trigger from the factory, especially in early models of rifles before the 'Lawyer Proof' triggers came out...

The 742 is a little more complicated, more like working on a shot gun trigger than a rifle trigger, but it can be done with relative ease.
--------------------------

This is just personal opinion,
But I would limit the amount of money I put into a 742 since Remington factory has discontinued ALL dealings with the 724 (some liability issue), and spare parts are scarce even with places like 'Gun Parts Inc.'...

Make sure you use a good lube in the guides/rails inside because if you don't, they will chatter and cause problems.

I have had two 742's, one in .308 and one in .30-06 and both shot very well, but both developed cycling problems and were very hard to fix.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Default Remington Trigger issues

Gentlemen:

I am new to this site, first post. I have been a part time gunsmith for over forty years. I spent most of my life in the Country Music industry working with many great stars as a drummer and vocalist. One of my great loves has always been guns. If you have an issue with the Remington triggers from the 740 742 750 or any of these series of weapons I can help you. These triggers are basically a very well engineered design that needed a little more thought. I have been turning these triggers into wonder triggers for over thirty years. I can eliminate the overtravel ( drill & tap the guard ) eliminate ALL creep, set the trigger weight to what ever you want down to three pounds. I won't take it any lower than that. Shim the trigger to eliminate any side play. Stone all mating surfaces to make things as smooth as possible while keeping the proper angles. There is no need to have to deal with what remington should have done in the first place. The best way to contact me is either by phone at 541 570 0955 or by e-mail at carter@barsnake.com If contacting me by e-mail please put remington trigger in the subject line.