Adding Materiel to Receiver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > Adding Materiel to Receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Adding Materiel to Receiver

I am in the midst of a redesign for one of my guns, and need to add materiel to an aluminum receiver. I am wondering if Al brazing rod would be appropriate to build up and attach cast parts.
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? A backyard project for me, and I don't want to get involved with the legal complexities of manufacturing firearms...yet; so building up an existing gun works fine for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Brazing is the metallurgical equivalent of glue. It doesn't bind to the parent metal very well at all. Build up is best done through the TIG welding process, with machining done after wards, and proper post heat treatment done to harden/normalize the metal.

What exactly are you trying to do? A little more background info would let us help you better. We have a few 'smiths, machinists and welders running around the forum.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Build up is best done through the TIG welding process, with machining done after wards, and proper post heat treatment done to harden/normalize the metal.
Yeah, plus one there Matt, you nailed it. Adding material to Aluminum, especially in a receiver, is not my idea of a "simple backyard" project. It has the ability to go horribly awry if we are talking a serious rifle action or something of that nature....

JD

Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah, plus one there Matt, you nailed it. Adding material to Aluminum, especially in a receiver, is not my idea of a "simple backyard" project. It has the ability to go horribly awry if we are talking a serious rifle action or something of that nature....

JD
I've done buildup on high speed aluminum boat props before. It's nerve wracking to say the least.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #5

Default Calico modification

I wouldn't dream of brazing a highly stressed part, just trying to add an additional mount point on my Calico. I want to run the scope mount ahead of its stock configuration, for better eye relief.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

Default Further clarification

Since I can't edit anything in this thread, here is a picture of what I have done so far. The magazine is now the cheekpiece, but I want the scope mount moved forward a bit.

Next generation will be a bullpup design, bringing the bore closer to sight line.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why not just make a new 1? Have it further forward than the 1 you have now.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #8

Default No tools

A new mount? Just as big a PITA.
I'm just gonna have a custom rail done up to bolt on top of the mount. Something coming further forward, and about 1/2" higher. Bottom of the forward section may have a rail for light/laser.
Of course, a Pepperball or Taser launcher could be a cool secondary
Something to fill the empty space would be good though, routing the trigger would be tricky. Gonna have to wait until I get to my in-law's shop.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 AM   #9

Default calico

thats a 9 mm is it????what a bunch of junk on it.I gusees i just dont get it what improvement will it make to shooting or is it "JUST COOL"
I honestly dont understand.
the military took a 5 LB gun and now have one weighs like a BAR.he is doing the same.