Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 91 Mauser Scope Mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Default 91 Mauser Scope Mount

dscn0004_07.jpg

Thought you might like to see my economy scope installation on my 1891 Argentine Mauser. I first removed the rear military sight from its housing and then installed a 98 Mauser scope base for $20 that is made to install on the rear sight housing of a 98 Mauser. I installed the base backwards so that the rail would extend closer to my eye. Lots of moto tool grinding was needed to get the contour of the base to fit the receiver. Everything locked up tight except that the rear part of the base had some play in it because there was nothing holding it to the receiver. I then drilled an 8-32 sized hole through the base (with a hand drill I might add) and into the receiver about 1/8". I ran a tap into the hole until it bottomed out, inserted a screw, tightened it down, and everything is solid. I mounted a scope and bore sighted it. I'll test it out this Friday, but it should shoot just fine.
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 04-02-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

jpattersonnh Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Cottontop,

Let us know how it turns out! The only possible issue will be the amount of adjustments you have. But looks good! Great idea! We will be awaiting the range report! That is also one fine looking rifle!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the positive comments sniper. This rifle is in very good shape, but it had already been bubbaed some, i.e., missing hand guard and the front of the stock has been cut down some, so there is no collector value there, thus, I did not mind altering it. The scope is mounted far enough forward that I did not have to alter the bolt handle or safety, but back enough to see the field of view in the scope. Will give you a range report this weekend.
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 04-03-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

Can't make it to the range today;too much rain and wind. Will go next Friday and post a report.
ct

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Great idea. If there is not enough adjustment in the scope, you could shim the back of the base. Is that an old Weaver K4?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #6

jpattersonnh,
Yeah, I thought about shimming if I can't get a good adjustment. That scope is an old "Valor" scope, fixed 4X that I picked up somewhere for cheap, made by who knows? It will serve its purpose on this rifle, at least for a while, maybe more. The crosshairs on it are really cool, though. All four are fairly wide and then taper down to a fine point where all four meet in the middle. I'll shoot it this Friday and give a report.
ct

Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

Nice job. You need to tell us what you think of the cartridge also.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

I fired the old Argentine at the local range today. This gun is a definite shooter. Bore sighting got it on paper and there was enough adjustment to get the scope zeroed. Because of the slim, straight stock grip, I was not able to hold it as steady as I would have liked, but I was able to shoot several groups that were right at MOA, with most running at 1 1/2" @ 100 yards. I think that is more than adequate for deer or boar hunting, and not bad for a 100 plus year old military rifle. My home gunsmithing scope mounting worked very well as after 50 rounds, it is tight and did not move. I was shooting the 150 grain bullet w/ IMR 4350 and 3031 powder. Both powders shot equally well. The 7.65x53 cartridge seems like it is a good one that should be adequate for most anything within reason. Recoil was very mild and I liked that fact. Next, I will try it with some 174 grain bullets that I just got and see it it likes those any better.
ct

Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #9

Very nice! Using a fast powder like 3031 and having low recoil is a plus. I need to pick some up for the 9.3 just to try it.