You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

870 Tactical stuck bolt assembly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 870 Tactical stuck bolt assembly

First time poster, here. While shooting my 870 Tactical the other day, the barrel all of the sudden came loose to the point of coming right off, and the bolt assembly became stuck halfway out.

The bolt and carrier will slide back and forth, but the shell latches don't seem to be doing anything, and I am not able to get the action bars out. Something of note is that the right side shell latch (pictured) does not seem to move - I'm concerned it might be bent or jammed.

No matter what I try, I can't seem to strip the weapon now. At this point, I thought I should reach out for help before I damage any internals by forcing it. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you!
File Type: jpg IMG_4894.jpg (35.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4898.jpg (36.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by mutualrespect; 01-31-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4785 Times on 2669 Posts
Likes Given: 2357

Take apart time.

A couple of dollars given to a 'smith may be worth the hassle.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Liked 1240 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

In the pics you had not pulled the trigger assembly out yet.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #4

Liked 1445 Times on 882 Posts
Likes Given: 215

One thing about those pesky loose mag caps,

External ratchet - For 870 shotguns with the spring loaded detent on the barrel lug ring. No mag tube dimples at the base of the mag tube threads. The teeth on the base of the mag cap engage the spring loaded detent ball on top of the barrel ring.

Internal ractet - For the 870 shotguns that have mag tube dimples and a plastic spring retainer. Dimples are there to lock the plastic spring retainer in place. The detents on the top of the spring retainer engage the internal teeth on the mag cap to keep it from loosing.

*CAUTION* One the things the Remington 870 does not react well to firing it with a loose mag cap.
This allows barrel movement, allowing the barrel to batter the ejector/barrel indexing lug which is riveted to the side the receiver by 2 tiny rivets.

There is a rounded notch on the extension of your barrel that fits into the receiver. This is directly opposite the ejection port when the shotgun is assembled. This notch fits around a the ejector. This will serve to keep the barrel from rotating.
Too much firing with a loose mag cap, you will be missing an ejector, or break the tip to a point that it no longer serves as an index for the barrel. If your barrel is not held in proper alignment then the notch in the barrel for the ejector will not line up with the extractor on the bolt. This may break the tip of the extractor as it slams forward into the barrel and not the open space intended for it. If the ejector is not fitting in the notch in the barrel, but is not broken, it will also cause the bolt to not come fully forward into battery. If the bolt is not in battery then it is designed to not allow the locking block to engage and this will cause the firing pin to be prevented from traveling fully forward.

All of this if the little notch on the ramp is not properly aligned with the ejector.

Drop out your trigger assembly to remove your stuck bolt assy.

Top photo shows a broken ejector/index lug.
File Type: jpg broken_ejector_remington.jpg (97.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg remington870ejector_after.jpg (67.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 02-01-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree. Unfortunately, I'm at the novice level when it comes to firearm repair. I'm not even 100% comfortable with removing the trigger group. I think that consulting a gunsmith might be the best fit for me at this point.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent feedback. Thank you!