80% 1911 receiver even do-able? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 80% 1911 receiver even do-able?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
.023"....that's loose as a goose!
Result of "Bubba" taking a mill file to the front receiver ring for some unearthly reason. After truing the receiver and lugs I needed to figure out how much "spacer" I was going to need to install a NOS barrel I had picked up for it.
Cut a shim from .025" stainless to give me enough crush factor and it was golden. Sights are right on the money.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I loved my AR build project. I particularly enjoyed that every part from any manufacturer will pretty much fit when it comes to AR's. I do wish that were true for 1911's.

If one could just buy a "1911 lower" or a "1911 frame" or something and just buy sets of parts, a slide, grips, etc., and then easily assemble the parts...that would be great.

It's too bad that 1911's haven't evolved into specified standards as the AR-15 platform has.
Building a 1911 could be that simple if someone chose to go the route of a matched receiver and slide combo. That would basically leave you with asssembling the thing and cleaning up the factory mill marks, lube and shoot. The only problem is that you can get a very good ready-shooter for the same price. There are plenty of lube and shoot guns out there that I'd love to get my hands on but I feel like I need to build one... I personally have a figure in my head for how much my 1911 should run. I'd like to keep it @ $700 and below. That is basically how much my loaded, stainless, SA cost. Anything more than that and I am just getting bored and chasing crap I don't need with good money. Money that the ol' lady could use to buy: I dunno, drapes or something? LOL Money that I could be spending on more AMMO!

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
I agree that DIY projects, if successful are very satisfying. Keep in mind though, there can be different levels of what it may take to do a restoration or a build.
You wanna know what the REAL bitch of this is? I'll pretend you do: Right now I am sitting 1 flight of stairs down from a commercial milling machine and 1 deck up from a commercial lathe... The problem is that I am offshore and would never be able to get my stuff through a heliport and out here. I have at least 3 Maritime Academy Engineer graduates (wrench turners from Maine with degrees) that I trust and would gladly help me. Maybe if I could mail it... Nah. Too risky and not worth my job. I need to just forget about this and move on. LOL

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!