Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 7mm Weatherby Mag bolt replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
aem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 7mm Weatherby Mag bolt replacement?

I'm new to site, hope to find an answer. I was shooting my weatherby today and removed the bolt. I am unable to replace it in the action as it appears that the firing pin is not set. How can I set the pin with the bolt out of the action?
Thanks
Allen

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2008, 04:04 AM   #2

Since the Weatherby, as all modern bolt actions are, is cock on opening, the firing pin should be cocked unless you rotated the striker assembly on the bolt body. I believe if that happened, it needs to be rotated clockwise to re cock (someone else chime in on my direction of rotation?).

If you didn't manually rotate the bolt body, try depressing the trigger during reinsertion of the bolt, or manipulate (upon reinsertion) whatever mechanism is used to release the bolt (not sure on Weatherby rifles if there is a separate bolt release). Good luck.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #3

You are right, turning the cocking piece clock wise looking at the the back of the bolt cocks the firing pin. Some how this got posted twice and we got him going yesterday.

Ron