760 Game Master
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 760 Game Master

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 760 Game Master

Start by saying any info will be a big help.

With another deer rifle season coming in PA next month I want to get my 760 .243 running better. The gun shoots great I have taken many white tail with it but the mags are a hassle. They go in smooth, little tight, but taking them out you almost need channel locks which is even harder with cold fingers.

Anyone have the same issue with a 760? Any solutions? I'm considering filing the sides of the mags. ( Have two and both are a bear)
Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I've never had a problem with my 760. Did this happen when you first got it or did this start happening recently? I wouldn't file anything yet. Are there scratches on the mags where they're hanging up on a burr or something on the receiver? If so then lightly file off any rough areas on the receiver around the mag opening. If not, take out the trigger group and put in a mag. If it's smooth and doesn't hang up at all then something is going on with the mag latch on the trigger group. It's hard to tell you how to go about seeing what's wrong there. Look for anything interfering with the release or protruding from the face of the trigger group. Take a pic of your trigger group after you take it out and maybe I can see if it's different from mine. Hope this helps.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #3

I got it used when I turned 12 and started hunting. I do think it was tight then but not this bad but that was 15 years ago now. It has been real bad for last couple years anyway. I did pull trigger group out and clean it ( not as dirty as expected)

forumrunner_20111025_154453.jpg

With that out I can see that it is tight side to side on the mag like either mag sides need filed down or may well needs opened up. I don't remember dropping it or anything that would cause it to pinch closed. Also it is harder with full mag than empty.

Side note one mag the previous owner had. My second was purchased couple years later. But same problem with both.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In the 1st place, put the file away, it'll only cause more burrs. You can try lightly polishing the mag well where it's hitting on the sides.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

^^^^ What he said. Seriously. You won't be doing yourself any favors filing on either the mag or the well. Try pinching the mag a little bit with just you hand. That alone could help. You could also try a little paste wax on the sides of the mag or a dry lube such as Dri-Slide.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #6

Yeah, filing anything would be a last resort. The mags aren't as tight even loaded when the trigger group is out? If so then I'd say it's not the mags or receiver. There's probably something off with the mag release, I'm thinking. I should have been clearer about the pic of the trigger group. Can you get a shot of the front of it, where the mag release is?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #7

The trigger group does not affect how tight the mag is. In or out it is just tight. With the mag loaded it gets even tighter. I guess it swells out a little with rounds installed. I may spend some more time on it tonight. I will try squeezing the mag with my hands or slight pressure with my vise.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #8

I just measured my mags with a caliper. They measure .899 empty and .925 loaded so they do swell a bit when loaded. I measured at the middle of the mag. Are there scratches in the bluing on the mags? Even after over 25 years, there are no scratches in the sides of my mags.

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #9

There are no defined scratches on the magazine. Think it is time to buy a set of calipers to check this out a little more closely.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #10

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

If you want to buy something, I would suggest a new magazine.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.