700 pss chamber crooked
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum >

700 pss chamber crooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 700 pss chamber crooked

Well my 700 p 300 win mag, more problems. We threaded the bbl this weekend and while in lathe I noticed chamber is horribly out of center the rifle shoots 1/2 in at 100 yards but the cases stick and I'm only getting brass marks on one Side of bolt face, and small chips of brass under extractor also there is several scratches on brass on left Side when it comes out if I can get It out. My question is this Remington won't do crap about it so should I use a chamber finish reamer and re do chamber or just give up and replace bbl with a custom bbl. Either way I'm out $ I'm leaning to new bbl. Damn shame you buy a new weapon and workmanship is so bad you have to fix it to use it! If I reface receiver and finish ream am I ahead or wasting time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #2

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You need to rethread the barrel and set it back to rechamber with a finish reamer. It wouldn't take that much to clean it up. That would take care of your problem. Why not just put a better barrel on it to begin with?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #3

Thanks, well it's brand new out of box had 30 rounds through it and I was hopeing not to have to put too much more in or I'll just sell it and build a custom just more money

Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #4

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

It would better benefit you to sell or trade it then.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Not too late....

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Well my 700 p 300 win mag, more problems. We threaded the bbl this weekend and while in lathe I noticed chamber is horribly out of center the rifle shoots 1/2 in at 100 yards but the cases stick and I'm only getting brass marks on one Side of bolt face, and small chips of brass under extractor also there is several scratches on brass on left Side when it comes out if I can get It out. My question is this Remington won't do crap about it so should I use a chamber finish reamer and re do chamber or just give up and replace bbl with a custom bbl. Either way I'm out $ I'm leaning to new bbl. Damn shame you buy a new weapon and workmanship is so bad you have to fix it to use it! If I reface receiver and finish ream am I ahead or wasting time.
You can't blame Rem. If you were the one that threaded the barrel. How did you go about trueing up the bore of the barrel. Was it running true from end to end. Seems with a little help you can correct your mistakes. Unless it was a factory defect when the barrel was drilled and bored. Retrace your steps and maybe you'll find what needs correcting. As for sticking thats an easy fix. Good luck, Happy shooting. PM me about this and I'll try to answer your questions

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #6

I mounted a muzzel brake on end of bbl, the chamber that remington put together is crooked. When turning in lathe i looked from action end and noticed it. i havent done anything to their work (yet) . i am going to recut bbl set it back and finish ream it hopefully will be correct or at least closer. I'm learning as i go got several videos and books on how to do the procedure pretty costly to purchas all tooling i will need but hopefully all goes well i can use it again

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #7

also missed 2nd part of question indicated from boar with 30 cal rod purchased from brownells hopefully that was correct. took about 1 hr to get it true

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #8

got ant sugestions on how to build a action holder to face the action those things are expensive bet i could build one if i could see one in person

Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #9

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Size the mandrel to fit the bolt raceway with a threaded collar to match the barrel threads.

700 pss chamber crooked - Gunsmithing Forum 700 pss chamber crooked - Gunsmithing Forum

Last edited by Highpower; 12-14-2010 at 03:34 AM.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #10

If the chamber is crooked, I doubt just setting back the barrel a little bit will get you into good metal, the reamer will want to follow the old chamber and you will get chatter you won't believe. Short of cutting the whole chamber off, you won't get it to chamber right and then your barrel shank will be too thin to support the chamber and pressure from firing the round.

Remington switched from button rifled barrels to hammer forged barrels a little while ago. You won't get as good of accuracy from a hammer forged barrel.

Buy a new quality barrel if you want the gun to shoot. Brownells sells short chambered Rem Barrels, that may be the way to go for you.
It won't ever give you decent groups if you just try to patch it up and the cost for the gunsmithing should not be much more.

Next time, get a Savage. Their quality just keeps getting better while the others look for ways to make them cheaper.

When having your Rem worked on, have it set up for a threaded barrel with a barrel nut like the Savage. It's so much cheaper to re barrel at a later date if you wear the throat on the new barrel out.

Hate to burst your bubble on this one. I'm a retired gunsmith and it sounds like your just throwing your money away trying to salvage what really needs a new barrel. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Need a good smith?, try S&S Sporting 208-313-1570. The gunsmith's name is Scott. He's one of the few Master riflesmiths left. His prices are reasonable and he does the best work of any smith I've ever seen and can be trusted 100%.
He guarentees his accuracy jobs with a new barrel will shoot 5 shots into .3" at 100 yds using his reloads and his prices are much, much less than the "Custom Rifles" that are guarenteed to shoot 3 shots into 1/2" @ 100 that cost you $5000.00. The rifle will not leave his shop unless it shoots at least that good, most shoot better.
Retired, I sold my equipment 5 years ago. Scott is the only smith I trust to work on my weapons. I was a darn good smith, but Scott is a better smith than I ever was.

I know you are trying to do it yourself, but unless you are willing to buy the proper tooling, and it's expensive and really study on how to re barrel, it may be best left to a professional. It takes years of experience to really learn to do it perfect and a lot of precision equipment.

Best of luck to you, John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 12-14-2010 at 06:52 AM.