Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 380 cracked cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Number one.

What gun?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #12

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

I am leaning to the idea of it being the ammo. It did not do this on any other ammo that I put through it. The ammo is about 15 years old. Has anyone ever heard of ammo gaining potency over time?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Number one.

What gun?
It is a new gun and has had less than 300 rounds through it. Should not matter what gun it is though and I know some will jump to blame the make or model or to excuse it because of biase.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure why you're being so secretive about the gun but I'd still suspect something about the gun's chamber is out of specs. To crack, the brass must have room to expand...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #15

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1094

This may be a stupid question...but the gun is a .380 right? You are not trying to shoot .380 out of a 9mm are you? You do know that the chambers are not the same size right? I am not trying to insult you. I don't know your level of expertise.

I am mainly asking because you don't want to tell us the type of gun.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I have to agree with Rick. The cases do not look like they were supported all the way. The 9mm is not straight walled like the .380ACP. the lower 3rd of the case looks like they were not supported.

If this was a test of using the incorrect ammo in a firearm, please don't do that again.

You may get lucky once.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #17

Yes the gun is a 380 and Yes I know the difference. The gun is a Ruger LCP that I borrowed from a friend of mine to see if I wanted one. I know that many are either giving this gun a pass on anything or demonizing it for the smallest thing and I wanted an unbiased ideas of what may be wrong. I own a TCP and have heard a lot about the LCP being superior. I still do not think this is the guns fault. It did not happened to the owner before and it was my old box of Fiocci ammo I used. It was all factory no reloads.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It looks to me like a weak spring allowing it to open too fast, a chamber that is not the correct size, or the ammo was way too hot for the cases it went into. I'm not a Ruger basher but I would want to have a gunsmith look at it and check the chamber and recoil spring. If the spring is bad you could end up with frame damage aswell as funky cases. I've not heard much bad about the LCP but as inexpensive 380's go I lean more to a Bersa. It's a snappy round in a really small pistol. So the margin for an error is not much.

If that is no what you want to do just yet look for another brand of ammo and see what happens then. It might have just been a batch of bad cases. But I would want to try another brand of ammo first thing. But one swelled or cracked case again and it needs to see the smith. And fast.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Not sure why you're being so secretive about the gun but I'd still suspect something about the gun's chamber is out of specs. To crack, the brass must have room to expand...
Really. Quit acting like these are state secrets.

Who really cares if someone comes in here and says LCP is crap.

Here's a no brainer....... TRY IT WITH DIFFERENT AMMO.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
It looks to me like a weak spring allowing it to open too fast, a chamber that is not the correct size, or the ammo was way too hot for the cases it went into. I'm not a Ruger basher but I would want to have a gunsmith look at it and check the chamber and recoil spring. If the spring is bad you could end up with frame damage aswell as funky cases. I've not heard much bad about the LCP but as inexpensive 380's go I lean more to a Bersa. It's a snappy round in a really small pistol. So the margin for an error is not much.

If that is no what you want to do just yet look for another brand of ammo and see what happens then. It might have just been a batch of bad cases. But I would want to try another brand of ammo first thing. But one swelled or cracked case again and it needs to see the smith. And fast.
Ruger sent a return label, but I still think its the ammo. When I shot it I even got some spray from the ejection. So it could be a weak spring not holding it closed long enough for the pressure to reduce. Will its not a state secret, but I know how people are about defending or deriding a gun on a name instead of on the facts. When I owned my Sigma the posts were horrible against this gun just because it was the "cool" thing to do. I really don't see why its important to know the manufacture anyway. The principals of operation are the principals of operation.