Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 380 cracked cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 14 Posts

Default 380 cracked cases

I just got back from the range shooting one of my 380s. After about 50rds I noticed that about 1/3 the cases were split. here is a photo of a few. I will not say what make the gun was, many will either excuse it because they like it or condemn it because the hate it and I do not want a biased opinion. The gun functioned flawlessly. The ammos was Fiocchi 380 95gr. It seemed a bit hot as the gun jumped more than I remembered it jumping and I had to hold on with both hands. It is a mouse gun but I do not remember it jumping like that. Any opinions will help, thanks.

dscn0700.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Do you have pictures of primers? How is it with other .380 ammo? Most splits like that are from brass that has been overworked.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #3

Primers were fine. The rounds were new not reloads or I would have thought the same. But it did kick hard. I wonder if it was hot loads? Nothing on the box said they were.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #4

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Is the chamber damaged in the gun?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Is the chamber damaged in the gun?
No the chamber is fine.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

What does the vendor say?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Ed,

Could have been the wrong powder but as you know you should see pressure signs on the primes. *Preaching to the Choir here, just thinking!
I had an agency call the other day about two of their ARs blowing up or as we call it in the industry a "Catastrophic Event"! One was a Bushmaster and I forget what the other one was I think it was a Colt but anyway they blew up withing 5 minutes of each other.
We started evaluating by telephone as he stopped the training! "GOOD MOVE" and advised he purchased the ammunition form a local dealer they normally buy from and was all from the same Case and Brand. Then I ask if they were reloads and he advised not they were new. We went through the drill of die marks on the cases and etc. So I had him go through the case and look at the boxes they were all the same brand and etc. Then I had him look at the head stamp on the casings and guess what! They were all various manufacturers in several of the boxes. "RELOADS SOLD AS NEW". In your case I would try another brand and or lot of 380s in your pistol. It could be that the casing processing on the FIOCIs were not correct. That is kind of what it looks like. Are there any visible signs on the unfired rounds of case mouth stretch or slight splits. If the ammo test works for you it was the casings. I hope they are not as dirty as some FIOCI 9mms I had for my grandsons AR.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

how old is your recoil spring?? lots of small guns need frequent spring replacement every 500-1000 rounds. combinition of slightly hotter loads with a weakened spring on a direct blowback weapon MIGHT make the slide come back just fast enough for the case to still be under higher pressure to cause uniform splitting as they emerge from the chamber.

just taking a poke. im prolly wrong

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

After a second closer look and I am not doubting you one bit because you bought them as new. But from the semi-blurry picture and what seems like a distinct line on the side of them sure look like either reloads or maybe the dirty element from the ammunition powder that I mentioned may have had your chamber all grungy? Seems like something also made a horizontal mark/s on all casings at exactly the same location if you look closely. Could just be the picture since there is some glare and a little fuzzy. As stated just clean your barrel and chamber and try another brand of ammunition. This will tell you immediately. I do not think it is your pistol.
Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like you got ahold of a bad batch of ammo. It could be powder screwup or brittle brass. DO NOT shoot any more of it. Try other ammo that you know will work ok. If it has the same problem then it's your chamber.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!