.380 Colt Mustang will not fire

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > .380 Colt Mustang will not fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .380 Colt Mustang will not fire

My Colt Mustang in .380 that I've owned for 25 years will no longer fire. It lay dormant for 15 years until I needed a lightweight CCW recently. I cleaned it and carried for a while. Went to the target range to test it and it wouldn't fire. So I stripped it and cleaned. Still wouldn't fire. Removed firing pin and it appears to be in good condition. Is there a possibility I'm mis-assembling the gun? When I re-assemble the gun I pop the ejector back up where it seems to belong. The gun will chamber and eject rounds with no problem, just the firing pin will make no mark on the primers. Just thought I'd ask here before searching out a gun smith.

Thanks;

Walt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Default Mustang

If it has the series 80 type firing pin block it may be related to that. There should be a small lever that sticks up from the frame behind the magazine well that activates a spring loaded button in the slide. The button blocks the firing pin. You can (temporarily) disable this feature by leaving the button and spring out of the slide. I would not recommend leaving it out permanatly for liability reasons. The lever in the frame can get broken leaving the gun incapable of firing. Parts are available. Check Numrich (www.gunparts.com).

Old 01-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default firing

to check.pull slide back and put finger over firing pin hole.press firing pin in and that should tell you if firing pin is protruding.obvious the hammer fell when you tried to fire.I have an FI mod D.