.300 Savage jamming...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > .300 Savage jamming...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .300 Savage jamming...

I have been asked by an old friend to try to fix his Model 99, 300 Savage. His ailments have forced an end to his hunting and he wishes to give it to a young nephew who is starting his first trap line in a few weeks. I am a machinist by trade, but by no means a gunsmith. Due to our location in northern Canada, I have been asked many times to fix up guns that were not deemed worth the trouble shipping them south to a real gunsmith. Mostly stock repair, metal blueing and some parts repair. I tried once to take apart a Winchester 30-30 and couldn't get it back together. Lever actions scare me, and yet, they keep knocking on my door.
This one has me a bit puzzled. Without any ammo, the lever will completely close and the gun will fire. However when I load it with shells or dummy rounds, the lever will not completely close. The lever comes to within a 1/4" of the stock grip and stops. The trigger will not move. There doesn't seem to be anything loose inside. Nothing rattling around. I tried playing with the rotary clip to see if it was jamming, but could find no problem. The shells load okay, the action is smooth, and the shells eject, but it will not close completely.
I am hoping one of you kind gentlemen will give me some idea of what may be the problem without need to take it apart. I have two weeks to fix it. Any response is welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3444 Times on 1972 Posts
Likes Given: 1501

Take a casting of the chamber and compare it to an unfired round.

is it possible that a fired round left something in the chamber area (a piece of casing that is wedged firmly?)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can get " creo safe" from Brownells to make a casting.
I also agree there may be a portion of a shell stuck in the chamber. Ask the person who brought it in if he had been using reloads.
F.K.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My friend uses Remington shells. To be honest, I didn't think there was a problem in the chamber itself. With the action open, the shells seem to go all the way in. I took a short length of piano wire and slowly pushed it in at many angles around the bore, but felt no obstruction. I used one of those Bore Lights, but could see no problem. I will try the creo safe, but it could take forever to get here, and I only have a couple of weeks. Frankly, I would be surprised if I could get it from Brownells. I had to search everywhere just to get the dummy rounds. Brownells say they can not sell them to Canada. I used to buy lots of stuff from them, but now you have to be a registered gunsmith to buy anything it seems.
Anyway, I will ask the guy that I got the shells from if he has any. I will get back to you asap.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The only differencee (if I understand correctly) is when there is nothing to chamber, the bolt works. When you have a round to chamber, then it will not close.

If that is the case, then the only change is the extractor when it holds a round versus the extractor position when there is no round.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The only differencee (if I understand correctly) is when there is nothing to chamber, the bolt works. When you have a round to chamber, then it will not close.
Yes, that is exactly the case. Perhaps, if I could find someone with a similar gun, I could compare the two extractors. I will look into this. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Isn't the ejector also in the bolt? What if ejector is not retracting enough when feeding a round?
Do you have any pictures of a round you tried to load?

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, the ejector is in the bolt. No, I have no working camera for pics. I gave the live rounds back to him, but I still have the dummy rounds. They are marked on the face "W-W Super" & ".300 Sav". I examined them under my engraving microscope and although some of the bluing has rubbed off, I can not find any dings or burrs on them. A friend of my brother, a gunsmith back in Ontario, is sending me photocopies of a Gun Digest book on a section for dismantling the Model 99, as a last resort.
A thought has occurred to me, (they do sometimes) if I was mistaken about a section of shell being wedged in the chamber, and I pour this Creo Safe in the chamber to make a casting of it, will this casting not be "locked" in the chamber? I assume a torch on the barrel will melt it again. Or maybe, a long brass rod could drive it out the chamber, wedge and all! Something to ponder.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excelsior! I fixed it...I think. Got tired of waiting for the Cerro stuff. Made a simple reamer, with two cutting edges to scrape the chamber. Did not harden it. Ran it through slowly. Sure enough, something popped out the muzzle end. Unfortunately, it bounced onto my dirty shop floor and I couldn't find it. I ran the brass brush and some WD40 through it and put it back together. The shells now go all the way in and the gun fires. My brothers gunsmith friend suggested turning down the tension on the rotor spring. Did this as well, and ran the dummy rounds through the gun about 50 times. No jamming at all. I hope this fixes the problem. Thank you all for your help!