30 Carbine stove piping
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > Gunsmithing Forum > 30 Carbine stove piping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 30 Carbine stove piping

Got a Universal .30 Carbine-very good condition,but it is stove piping on me. Did a thorough cleaning & replaced the springs (took 4 hours to re-assemble without a special tool) but it still stovepipes. Got three different Clips but no change--using old military ammo, haven't tried new ammo yet--Did I maybe get something misplaced--the fireing pin doesn't seem to protrude as far as it should but it fires ok--just doesn't eject. Weak/strong recoil spring? Chamber looks clean & shiny--no indication of burrs---Help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

prolly under powered ammo some of that old milsurp doesnt have a lot of juice. try a different brand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Quote:
Got a Universal .30 Carbine
Found your problem.

Sorry, but the Universal is a rather problem ridden critter. You MAY want to have a smith check the gas piston (Do NOT try to remove it yourself, special tool required to get it BACK). Carbon buildup can keep frommoving freely, and the "love tap" that it delivers is the force for all of the unlock/extract/eject.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Mine isn't problem ridden. It's handled thousands of rounds since it was bought new in 69. All I had to do was polish the feed ramp to get it to feed soft points.
The clips wont have any effect on stove piping. That's a cycling or extraction/ejection problem. It could be the ammo like was said earlier. Try some new factory ammo. It could also be the bolt spring is too stiff making it short cycle.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It sounds like you need to clean & oil the gas system to me.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Mine isn't problem ridden. It's handled thousands of rounds since it was bought new in 69. All I had to do was polish the feed ramp to get it to feed soft points.
The clips wont have any effect on stove piping. That's a cycling or extraction/ejection problem. It could be the ammo like was said earlier. Try some new factory ammo. It could also be the bolt spring is too stiff making it short cycle.
I second that. Some may be know for issues but mine has functioned flawless for the time I have owned it.

Sorry I can't help youwith your problem. I wish you luck.