Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   22wmr (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/22wmr-51691/)

DodgeThis 11-13-2011 02:42 AM

22wmr

Hey folks,

I have one of those el cheapo Cobra Firearms 22mag. derringers This is my carry in the woods gun. I keep it loaded with #12 shot shells for snakes and such. However, the trigger pull is about 4000lb. OK, so that was a little bit of exaggeration, but you the point. I talked to a local smith. He said he couldn't help me with it nor could he tell me how to do it due to limitations with their insurance. So I figured I would come to the one place that would know and be able to tell me. All I really need is to lighten up the trigger pull on this lil booger. I am not a smith nor am I an expert. I can normally find my way through most anything, but I will back off sometimes due to lack of knowledge and patients. Either way, I have taken the grip panels off and glanced inside, but I haven't had a reason or the want to break it all the way down. So do any of you know anything about this? This will be a big help if you can put me on my way in the right direction. THANK YOU!

danf_fl 11-13-2011 09:37 AM

Trigger work is not normally recommended as a DIY project for someone who is not well versed in firearms.

Have you discussed this with the manufacturer? It may be something they could address.

DodgeThis 11-14-2011 02:05 AM

I'd have to say that not well versed in firearms might not be the right description, but I do get what you are saying. Like I said I am not a smith by no means, but I haven't found anything that I couldn't do yet. It's just a matter of wanting a little more info on this before I try it. The biggest thing is that I don't have the special little tools and such. I guess the real objective here is just to break the little booger down completely with out sending a spring across the room, or anything of that sort. No, I haven't contacted the factory, but I have been through the schematics, they don't help much.

Mongo 11-14-2011 03:08 AM

lighter springs?

When I shoot mine, I have my index finger along the side of the barrels and squeeze the trigger with my second finger. It helps the aim as well.

danf_fl 11-14-2011 09:24 AM

Get a plastic garbage bag and disassemble in that. It is easier to find a spring in a plastic bag than a room.

DodgeThis 11-15-2011 12:33 AM

I think I just might tackle it and see what I get figured out. Thanks.

Rex in OTZ 11-22-2011 05:52 PM

tough reassembly

I buddy gave me a old Davis DM-22, the alternating mechanism broke and needed new parts (sandwiched next to hammer) above the trigger is a tite fit fighting spring tension and that lobed spring has a certain way its indexd, the parts look cast of some material, not much in the way of modifying them, the dissembly and reassembly once is enuff, I lubed mine with a good quality Molly Grease, As I remember the hammer spring is crazy heavy too, in end I was able to get all the parts stuffed back in it and decided as a darrenger the 20# trigger will do for a pocket gun (dont want no accidental discharges in your pocket)

Mongo 11-23-2011 12:06 AM

20 lb spring?

That Derringer has a half cocked position where it should be kept unless you are ready to fire. It is very important to use the half cocked position when loading your derringer because in that position both firing pins are retracted. With the hammer in the fired position, one of the firing pins will be protruding and there is a danger of accidental discharge as you close the barrels.

triggerman770 11-26-2011 01:28 PM

22wmr

I looked into one of those and couldn't find a way to do it. called their tech dept and of course they would not say there is a way. the tech said to pull with your finger on the bottom of the trigger and this would lessen the pull somewhat. If you look at the pivot point of the trigger you can see where pressing the trigger lower would give more leverage. My customer wasn't too happy about it but it did work.

Mongo 12-09-2011 02:51 AM

hammer spring

I did change the hammer spring on my Davis 22 magnum Derringer. I used a Ruger Mini-14 hammer spring and shortened the length to the same as the original spring. It has a lighter pull and does fire consistently but is still stiff. I plan to cut one coil off and test fire again.