Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gunsmithing Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   20 in free float quad rail (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/20-free-float-quad-rail-89636/)

mchoitz 04-26-2013 08:50 PM

What I am looking for is a 20in free float quad rail, not a normal rifle length but actually 20 in long to cover the whole barrel or maybe 18 in long to cover about the whole barrel. Does anyone know where to find one or maybe if you could machine one and I could buy it, or if there are any reasons why it would be impossible. I know I would probably have to get a new low profile gas block...

TheDaggle 04-27-2013 12:52 AM

Couple of 15"ers here.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Extended_Rifle_Length_AR_15_Handguards_s/4160.htm

15.5" here

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2383

I've never seen anything longer. If you're serious about getting one custom made it would be awesome and I'd love to see it but you're going to pay out the @$$ for it.

Sgt_Skrb_25 04-27-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchoitz
What I am looking for is a 20in free float quad rail, not a normal rifle length but actually 20 in long to cover the whole barrel or maybe 18 in long to cover about the whole barrel. Does anyone know where to find one or maybe if you could machine one and I could buy it, or if there are any reasons why it would be impossible. I know I would probably have to get a new low profile gas block...

I have to ask you why? I'm not sure if the threads would hold up on the barrel nut the rail screws on to. Especially If your mounting more weight on it. I assume your building a long range AR with a possible a bi-pod set up? A 15" will probably be the longest out there in production, not sure why anyone would need it longer.

TheDaggle 04-27-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1228350)
I have to ask you why? I'm not sure if the threads would hold up on the barrel nut the rail screws on to. Especially If your mounting more weight on it. I assume your building a long range AR with a possible a bi-pod set up? A 15" will probably be the longest out there in production, not sure why anyone would need it longer.

Good points. It would look pretty cool but you probably experience a rapidly diminishing rate of return after 15.

mchoitz 04-27-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

I have to ask you why? I'm not sure if the threads would hold up on the barrel nut the rail screws on to. Especially If your mounting more weight on it. I assume your building a long range AR with a possible a bi-pod set up? A 15" will probably be the longest out there in production, not sure why anyone would need it longer.

Why? Because I'd like the look! Haha and I want to swap out my hogue grip for rails for more accessories. But I was thinking the same thing with the pressure that would be exerted on the connection point. But I really love the look of full length rails

JonM 04-27-2013 03:19 AM

im using the JP 15.5 on my precision rifle. fantastic ff tube. gets the the bipod waaaay out there for a super stable platform. the further out that bipod is the better the rest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3606/img0611nw.jpg

Jagermeister 04-27-2013 04:42 AM

Hera-arms.com. Go to ar15 builder. I am sure your LGS can order for you. They also sell parts.

HOSSFLY 04-27-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1228486)
im using the JP 15.5 on my precision rifle. fantastic ff tube. gets the the bipod waaaay out there for a super stable platform. the further out that bipod is the better the rest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3606/img0611nw.jpg

Your shop is a lot cleaner than mine :o

mchoitz 04-27-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
im using the JP 15.5 on my precision rifle. fantastic ff tube. gets the the bipod waaaay out there for a super stable platform. the further out that bipod is the better the rest.

I'm guessing that's a 20 in barrel?


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.